Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate Contacts

I’ve disconnected from iCloud, it has never worked for me. Now iCloud had duplicated itself numerous times in addition to duplicating groups within each iCloud group:

User uploaded file

Howcan I fix this easily and remove the duplicate iCloud groups? I tried using the duplicate removal tool but only got “The operation has failed” dialog.

I guess from now on it is iTunes syncing over USB. This started when I tried unsuccessfully to log into iClod from an external disk plugged into my Mac. It just seems like iCloud has been nothing but a headache and I’m sorry I ever got involved.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Thunderbolt 27, iPhone 5S

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 10:05 AM

20 replies

Feb 24, 2015 10:01 PM in response to Gnarlodious

Can anyone tell me why this window appears continuously and can’t be closed?

Best guess would be, IAW your previous screen shot, you have at least 5 iCloud accounts still active.

To remove the accounts, you need to highlight them and press the minus button.

I don’t know man, it just seems like iCloud is another Apple failure. Its all messed up.

iCloud works just fine, if you know how to use it.

Feb 25, 2015 9:25 AM in response to Gnarlodious

How many iCloud accounts are you actually logging into?

In System Preferences, Internet Accounts, do you have any iCloud accounts listed?

Are you complete signed out of iCloud?

In addition: Do you have any other devices signed into iCloud that are working correctly?

Log into iCloud.com website and see if all your Contacts are listed there. Also check to see if your calendars are there.

Feb 25, 2015 10:01 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

I only have one iCloud account. This MacBook Pro is the only device that seems to be messed up, and only with Contacts application.

Everything seems back to normal, I had to laboriously remove one duplicate account at a time between crashes, until there was only one account left. In case this happens to anyone else, before reconnecting Contacts to iCloud be sure to delete all your existing cards on your Mac or else they will be forcibly merged and duplicated. For some reason this merging is mandatory with every reconnection. Ths turned out to be the source of my original problem, and I would call it a bug.

Yesterday morning I booted from a backup disk to do a Repair Permissions. iCloud wanted me to log in, which dialog I dismissed. It then disconnected me and also my normal userfolder. Upon rebooting into my normal userfolder, I had to enter my password, at which time iCloud apparently merged all my contacts creating duplicates of every card. What’s more, every time I rebooted I was forced to enter my password 5 times, one for each zombie account.

I would call this much paranoid security a bug. So far I have wasted about 5 hours recovering from this Apple failure.

So this topic documents 5 bugs:

1) I was forcibly logged out of iCloud when booted into a removable disk

2) While attempting to log in to iCloud the login window told me the login failed, causing me to continue trying and each time creating an additional zombie account totaling 5.

3) Each time I logged in without knowing it, Contacts duplicated all groups and cards a total of 5 times.

4) When deleting zombie accounts, Contacts crashes when an account is removed while the account itself is successfully removed.

5) Contacts insists on merging cards upon each reconnection of its application to iCloud.

Reported as bug #19953822. Almost 20 million bugs, wow!

Feb 25, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Gnarlodious

Everything is back to normal? Calendars also?

You didn't answer all questions, so I assume you have another device besides the computer that you use iCloud to sync with.

I am not running Mavericks, so I can't test anything I say to you.

The issue when you log into your computer and it asks you to sign into iCloud, are you using your Apple ID password for a login to the computer? If so, that may be why it disconnected you from your user account. If so, create a new password other than your Apple ID. You can associate your Apple ID with your user account and still have a separate password for login.

Calendars are like Contacts where when you sign into iCloud, it will merge the info. When using iCloud and signing out of it for whatever reason, it is best to choose the box to remove all content from the computer. When you sign back in, it will put the info back.

If you don't use iCloud, then choose to keep it local on the computer. Just remember if you do sign back into iCloud, it will merge the content. I thought you had the option whether or not to merge, but I don't remember.

Whenever i sign out of iCloud, when I sign back in, I uncheck the boxes for Mail and other apps on the first screen so nothing is checked when it logs in. I then choose the boxes to enable manually after that. Point being, if I'm keeping Contacts or Calendars local, I don't have to go through that process of that information being merged. I just leave those boxes unchecked in iCloud preferences and only enable what I want.

When you understand these things about what is going on, iCloud is no problem and works really well. Whether or not you want to use it is up to you.

Feb 26, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Everything seems to be working normally after a few days. Yes I have an iPhone I sync with over iCloud. No I don’t log in to my computer with my Apple ID.

I understand about iCloud. What I don’t accept as normal behavior is that 4 zombie accounts should have been created when I logged it, and that Contacts should have crashed each time I deleted a zombie account. (you can tell I lke the word zombie)

In addition, I’m somewhat irked by the fact that iCloud sabotages itself if I boot up into a backup disk. iCloud in general has been given too much control over OSX and I don’t like it.

Mar 1, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Gnarlodious

No, it's not normal. Not sure of exactly what the cause will be.

iCloud setup generally is just a matter of signing into it for setup. Sometimes it gets corrupt and requires signing out and signing back in. Also, your keychain may be corrupt and causing the problem. You also mentioned something about iTunes syncing. I don't remember what you can sync with iTunes in Mavericks, but it isn't a good idea to use to different methods for syncing the same items. So no need to sync Contacts when iCloud already syncs them.

You can try this process unless you want to wait for someone else to reply. This may take a few minutes, but shouldn't do any harm.

Hopefully you do have a backup in case anything goes wrong.

If you are using iTunes for syncing, uncheck anything that might be duplicated in syncing by iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, etc.

Quit all applications.

Go to iCloud.com and make sure all information for Contacts and Calendars is correct. If all your info is correct at the website, then go to System Preferences and open the iCloud pane. Don't uncheck the boxes in the list, just sign out of iCloud completely. Choose to delete all info such as Contacts, Calendars, etc. from the computer when asked. This should remove all the information from the application as well as the databases for those on the computer.

Also, pen the Message and FaceTime applications and sign out of those also. Now you should be completely signed out of all iCloud applications.

Next, open Keychain, and select Logins in the top window and All Items in the bottom window. Search for iCloud and delete any remaining items related to iCloud logins. I'm not sure if Mavericks uses or if you are using the iCloud keychain. Note what keychain an item belongs to. Only delete from the Login KeyChain and not an iCloud keychain. If you do, you may need to re enter the passwords on the other devices when asked.

Then open KeyChain first aid and verify and repair your Keychain.

Open Disk Utility and select your boot volume from your hard drive. Repair permissions.

Restart the computer. I assume you should not get any requests at this point for iCloud logins.

Go to iCloud in System Preferences and sign into iCloud. Verify any service you use is checked such as Mail, Contacts, Calendars, etc., and leave any you don't use unchecked. Verify your Contacts, Calendars, etc., are restored.

And last, go to Messages and FaceTime if you use them and sign back into those also. Make sure all your addresses in each application are shown. You will probably get alerts on other devices that all those addresses have been signed into by another device. That is normal.

If this doesn't solve your problem, then I don't know what else I can tell you.

Duplicate Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.