Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes on Window 8.1 Tablet

Has anybody had any experience of using iTunes on a tablet running Windows 8.1?

As far as I can gather, this is the full version of windows, so it should run. I'm just wondering how well it will work on a touch screen device?

Also, I assume that it will be able to access an iTunes library stored on a NAS just as a PC can?

Windows 8

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 12:44 PM

As long as it is running full Windows 8.1 (and not Windows RT, as used on Microsoft's Surface & Surface 2 tablets, etc.), and the tablet has sufficient disc space to install iTunes and enough memory to run it, then you should be OK. Apple's official minimum requirements:

User uploaded file

are probably a little optimistic, especially with respect to RAM - I've rarely seen a usable iTunes installation running with less that 2GB and 4GB (or more) is preferable.

Access a library stored on NAS should be fine - though iTunes in general works better when you map the NAS to a drive letter rather than accessing folders via a network path.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2015 12:44 PM in response to paddybliss

As long as it is running full Windows 8.1 (and not Windows RT, as used on Microsoft's Surface & Surface 2 tablets, etc.), and the tablet has sufficient disc space to install iTunes and enough memory to run it, then you should be OK. Apple's official minimum requirements:

User uploaded file

are probably a little optimistic, especially with respect to RAM - I've rarely seen a usable iTunes installation running with less that 2GB and 4GB (or more) is preferable.

Access a library stored on NAS should be fine - though iTunes in general works better when you map the NAS to a drive letter rather than accessing folders via a network path.

Feb 27, 2015 5:41 AM in response to paddybliss

Two other possibilities to look at:

• In iTunes, try varying the setting of "Play Audio Using" in Edit > Preferences > Playback (you'll need to restart iTunes for any change to take effect). Some have found that switching from "Windows Audio Session" to "Direct Sound" addresses this issue (though others have reported success with the opposite change).
  • There is an alternative installer here: iTunes 12.1.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards) that has been found to address some users' playback issues. The "for older video cards" label is something of a misnomer - this is actually (like most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes) a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer. Some users with current/high-spec video cards have found that this version resolves playback issues with the "full" 64-bit version.

If neither of these addresses the issue then someone with more experience/knowledge of Airplay may be able to help ...

Feb 28, 2015 9:41 AM in response to hhgttg27

Changing from Direct Sound to Windows Audio Session solved it, but its being very temperamental. It disappeared completely last night and nothing I could do would get it back (rebooting router, tablet etc). This morning, the tablet wouldn't even connect to my Wi-Fi at first, so I think something is amiss with either the tablet or my router.

I have it iTunes on the tablet up to point to the iTunes library file on my PC, where my music is also stored. (eventually I plan to put it all on a NAS). When it is working, the tablet plays the music fine, but setting it to Airplay to my Hi Fi, it stops & starts every few seconds. I'm wondering if my router is the bottleneck here, as its streaming the music in both directions? It's s a 100.0Mbps connection, do I need a faster router or is the problem somewhere else?

Mar 1, 2015 11:42 AM in response to paddybliss

Ok, I don't quite know what I did (strangely, it may have just been powering on a home plug that's connected to my router but otherwise not in use), but I have now got Airplay working using my old router. However, every few seconds it cuts out for about a second then starts again. It does this with local files as well as those on the network. The tablet plays files perfectly through its own speakers and my laptop & PC work fine with Airplay.

Could it be that the tablet is just not up to the job? Is there a minimum spec for Airplay, I can't find anything online? It's a Linx 10 Tablet:

Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33Ghz

2GB RAM

Window 8.1 32bit

Hopefully this isn't the case and there's something in iTunes / Network / Router settings that can resolve this?

Mar 1, 2015 11:58 AM in response to paddybliss

That's definitely at the low end of the specs for iTunes ... I have a Windows 8.1 notebook that has:

• AMD Dual Core C-50 1.0 GHz
  • 4GB RAM
  • Windows 8.1 64-bit

which it just about usable for iTunes as long as I'm not trying to run anything else significant at the same time - for example, playback will stutter or be interrupted if I'm running more than one browser window or other disc intensive processes like loading/saving a large MS Office document. That is with a moderately large iTunes library - another factor that can affect performance. Another factor in my case is whether I'm using the library on a local external drive, or connecting to one on my "master" system using Home Sharing. Performance is actually better in the latter case - I suspect that there's more extensive buffering over Home Sharing than there is using a slow-ish (USB 2.0) external drive.

Although I'm not using Airplay I do use this system - in either of its possible configurations - with Bluetooth audio (either portable speakers when I'm on the road, or a Bluetooth adapter hooked into my hi-fi system when I'm at home). This doesn't seem to be a problem, though obviously the Bluetooth link is dedicated device-to-device whereas Airplay is potentially competing for bandwidth on your wi-fi network.

You might want to check how your tablet functions with nothing but iTunes running, and maybe also try and reduce the number of background processes that start up with Windows.

Mar 1, 2015 3:47 PM in response to hhgttg27

It sound like the engines cannee take it!

I haven't got much else running at all. It's brand new, the only other programmes I've installed are Firefox, Chrome, VLC Media Player and AVG security. Task manager shows memory usage of 50% and CPU of 4% while iTunes is playing via Airplay. Out of this iTunes is only using 55MB RAM and no more than 2.4% CPU, so it doesn't sound like its stretching the system, but I have little understanding of these things.

I've tried streaming via DLNA and it seems to work ok, but I noticed similar problems playing video (SD & HD).

Will be a shame if this doesn't work. It's a nice little tablet in all other respects. I still wonder if theres a problem on the Network as I now noticed internet pages are incredibly slow to load while Airplay is running.

Mar 1, 2015 3:55 PM in response to paddybliss

Without knowing many technical details about Airplay, it does sound like your problems are more network-related than stretching the capacity of the tablet. I assume that you didn't have a "Eureka!" moment as a result of posting your question over on the Apple TV pages ... maybe someone here with direct experience of configuring and fine tuning Airplay may be able to offer more detailed advice and guidance.

iTunes on Window 8.1 Tablet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.