Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MIDI controller (impulse 49 - novation) stop working on Logic Pro X

Hello,

The keys of the midi controller works for a while and then stops, and if I use the encoders or pads it stops at the same time.

I'm thinking it's something related to the amount of midi messages received by my macbook, but i'm not sure.

I've got a macbook pro 13'', 2,6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8Gb RAM and

the controller Impulse 49 from Novation. I did install the required softwares to make the controller work.

Please if you have a solution or suggestion I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), MIDI Controller Impulse 49 Novation

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 1:11 PM

14 replies

Feb 25, 2015 9:47 AM in response to luizfeitoza

I would troubleshoot with different wires, I have been trying different usb cables for my Impulse and only the original seems to work correctly. I am currently planning on trying a midi in/out to usb cable to see if that is any more reliable.

As for the sliders and encoders, ever since the last Logic update the automap mixer device in the control surface setup never seems to save properly, so I have to scan all models every time I want to use them.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, good luck!

Feb 25, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Kmnicholas257

Well, I will test it out, but i don't think the cable is the problem since everything works perfectly (the keyboard and cable) on my windows pc. But maybe this cable isn't enough for my macbook pro... I'm not even looking for save the encoder and faders mapping, right now i'm looking for make it work.

I realized that the transposers works fine even after the keys, encoders and faders stops. Anyway, I'm still having a clue of how to fix it.

Thanks a lot for taking time to try to help me Kmnicholas257.

Feb 25, 2015 2:22 PM in response to LKAB

I am having the same problem, and it has something to do with Logic Pro... here's why..

- I was using GarageBand on my MacBook with the Focusrite 18i20, using a MIDI OUT from a Casio keyboard (and a Nord when trouble shooting) to the MIDI IN on the 18i20. I had NO problems ever using the Casio (MIDI) to control software instruments (usually a bass)

- I upgraded to Logic Pro X today. Everything else is the same. When you first powerup the 18i20 and MIDI the MIDI signal is received and controls the bass, for about 10 seconds. Then there is an audible 'click' and the MIDI signal goes dead. It goes dead in LP and it goes dead on the Mac (Audio MIDI Setup). Something LP is turning it off. I shut down LP, reset, MIDI signals receiving fine. Open up GB, everything works like a champ. CLose GB, Open LP, 10 seconds all signal dead.

Help please?

May 12, 2016 7:54 PM in response to LKAB

Hi I'm very new to all of this and recently picked up a novation impulse 61 to use with logic pro x. When it came in the keys control no sounds but I can automap pans and faders intermittently. I'm wondering if maybe the USB 3 thing is in play here...I only have USB 3 on my computer. I too am confused how a powered USB 2.0 could help this as I assume it only has a 2.0 out as well going to the 3.0 on my laptop.

I haven't ruled out that the novation isn't faulty either as I bought it used. Can you guys with a Novation tell me. I notice the LCD screen gives feedback when buttons or faders are used. Does it give the same type of respnse when the keys are pressed. Mine does not so I'm wondering if it's normal or if it doesn't work right. Thanks for any help.

My MIDI controller (impulse 49 - novation) stop working on Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.