Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about Aperture & Icloud, Icloud Photos, IOS8, Photostream and Photos OSX - Current workarounds?

Any input is appreciated!

Device/software overview:

• Iphone 6+ with IOS8 x 2
  • Ipad Air 2 with IOS8 x 2
  • Macbook Pro running Yosemite
  • Imac running Yosemite
  • Three icloud accounts plus family share is set up.
    1. Main account for itunes app store purchases
    2. My account
    3. My partners account

Situation overview:We are new to icloud and IOS (but not mac and Aperture). We previously had Android phones and tablets. Both my partner and I take a ton of photos on each of our respective devices (we run a food blog). Icloud and switching to IOS devices (iphone and ipad) was meant to simplify our lives but we are running into some snags using Aperture until Photos OSX is released--And I dread the thought if OSX Photos doesn't make this simpler in the long run! Right now we are just trying to get our very large (separate) aperture libraries organized and ready for when the update happens. In doing so we have run across some questions:

1. Right now, in addition to photo stream, Aperture creates a monthly file that is a permanent upload of photos from Icloud. Is Aperture supposed to upload the videos from Icloud as well? I just realized NONE of my videos have uploaded from Icloud. If they are supposed to be importing automatically, what troubleshooting do I need to perform to make this work properly?
  2. If the videos are not uploading, should we just do a manual import of the videos into Aperture? And, I assume that will NOT also bring in duplicate photos as we have that box checked in IMPORT.
  3. Must I leave photos/videos I DO NOT want in the Aperture TRASH in order for the imports to NOT import previously imported/duplicate files? It seems if you empty the trash, how will Aperture know that those were previously imported? This makes the trash huge, however!
  4. Is there a way/is it possible to AUTOMATICALLY have icloud/photo stream import from two (or more) phones/ipads (with two different icloud accounts) into ONE aperture library on ONE machine? In other words, if I want my phone and my partner's phone to upload photos into my food blog Aperture library without having to do a manual upload all the time, how do I make this happen? The need for constant manual uploads will start to become quite a pain!
  5. How do I share A single project with another Aperture Library?
  6. Is there a better way to share an Aperture Library between computers/devices than through an external drive--Given that the Ipad, which I blog with on the road, will not connect to an external drive, we are finding this practice very limiting!

IOS8/Icloud Photos Questions:

1. I assume that when Photos OSX is released there may be a way to accomplish this (I hope so anyway) but follow me here - My icloud storage can be up to 1 TB but my devices only have 128GB each. Even with "reduce photo size" on my devices turned on, I am going to fill up my phone/ipad in no time! (I only got my iphone in Nov and only have 60G left - Did I mention I take a ton of pictures!?!) There has GOT to be a way to have ALL photos stored on Icloud but only some on your phone!?! HELP!
  2. Within a SHARED FAMILY album, is there a way to create new SUB albums? It seems crazy that I can't organize the photos within that album to create categories like: home, vacation, etc. and shouldn't have to create a new SHARED (non-family) album for each one.

Does anyone know when PhotosOSX will be released and is there any new information as to it's features?

Note to Developers just in case you're reading this: I hope OSX Photos solves every question I have above (and that it still allows for watermarking of photos on export)!

Thanks to all and anyone who can help with these issues!

P.S. Has anyone else noticed that www.icloud.com photos keeps crashing this week?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 1:10 PM

Try to help here if I can:

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. Don't know. What's the harm in a little experiment?

4. Not with two different iCloud accounts.

5. You don't. There is no way. You can export a project as a Library and import it to the other, not share it without copying back and forwards.

6. No.

One way around your current problems is to use Flickr. Upload your photos there, download the ones you need for blogging as you need them - in fact, iirc, it's quite possible to link to a shot on flickr from your blog in many cases, and so the shot doesn't even have to be on your device to be used.

No one outside of Apple knows what the release schedule Photos is.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2015 1:10 PM in response to CCAPPL

Try to help here if I can:

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. Don't know. What's the harm in a little experiment?

4. Not with two different iCloud accounts.

5. You don't. There is no way. You can export a project as a Library and import it to the other, not share it without copying back and forwards.

6. No.

One way around your current problems is to use Flickr. Upload your photos there, download the ones you need for blogging as you need them - in fact, iirc, it's quite possible to link to a shot on flickr from your blog in many cases, and so the shot doesn't even have to be on your device to be used.

No one outside of Apple knows what the release schedule Photos is.

Feb 24, 2015 3:22 PM in response to Yer_Man

Man of few words. 😐

Probably not all answers I wanted to hear but thanks for the help!

3. Don't mind experimenting with trash but if someone has the answer that would save time and hassle.

4. You would think given that families often use one computer that there would be a means to do this. Ah the foresight of developers!

I have SmugMug (similar to how I would use Flickr), just don't really want to rely on these methods as they have their own sets of issues. I am fully up and running with all Apple products now so I guess I'll just wait and hope that photos OSX will do the trick.

Cheers.

Feb 24, 2015 3:38 PM in response to CCAPPL

4. You would think given that families often use one computer that there would be a means to do this. Ah the foresight of developers!

I'm not sure I blame the developers... The whole point of different user accounts and different iCloud accounts is because you want to keep your data separate. But, it turns out, no you don't. Some data you don't want separate. So, don't use separate accounts... perhaps a special account that you both use for the photos?

Feb 24, 2015 4:17 PM in response to Yer_Man

You're right. Developers cannot foresee every eventuality. My intent was not to disparage. Mia Culpa.

That is one idea. Though as I'm sure you know, Apple encourages separate accounts for many reasons and when you are dealing with icloud on ipad and iphone it isn't always ideal to share an "account" because other things get shared as well - this can make things very muddy. And it's not easy to manage multiple accounts on IOS devices. The new sharing options with the new icloud are a great start. Again, sounds like I'll be hoping that OSX Photos solves the issues. I didn't realize how unique we were in the way we do things until I started looking into the options vs. our challenges. Thank you again for your feedback.

Questions about Aperture & Icloud, Icloud Photos, IOS8, Photostream and Photos OSX - Current workarounds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.