Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro SSD OSX install: Cannot resize partition

I have a min-2012 13" MacBook Pro which has recently suffered from a HDD failure. Upon purchasing a Samsung SSD 850 EVO I had problems with formatting it on my MBP with the error: File system formatter failed.

Instead I opened a friend's MBP and tried formatting it from there and everything went fine. My problem now is with the OS X installation. I keep getting errors saying "the partition cannot be resized".

What's the problem here? Is it the SATA cable? I've never touched it before today.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 12:43 PM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2015 3:54 AM in response to MikexLeaf

Same issue here on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Had a Kingston V300 SSD that ran beautifully for just over a year, then suddenly couldn't boot.

• Reformatted the drive and tried to reinstall Yosemite ... erased fine, but failed installation.
  • Kingston replaced the drive under warranty ... new drive erased fine, installation failed.
  • Replaced with a new Samsung EVO 850 ... erased fine, but failed installation.
  • Replaced with a 160gb SATA HDD ... erased fine and installed Yosemite without issue.

Seems to me that there is either a fault developing with the SATA interface or cable.

OR

Something bundled in an Apple update has killed SSD usability.

I've booked it in with Apple later this week. Will post updates

Apr 27, 2015 4:45 PM in response to steveh2012

OK, so visited Apple store and the guys there said it was an issue with the SATA cable. They replaced the cable and hey presto, all works fine now.

Whether it was actually the cable at fault I don't know.

It might have simply been a connection issue, so anyone having similar problems might want to try disconnecting the SATA cable from the motherboard and reconnecting it just in case it is that.

The other possibility the Apple Genius guy told me is a problem with RAM can cause this issue. Even if RAM passes diagnostics, if you have two sticks installed, try them individually.

Hope this helps others 🙂

Macbook Pro SSD OSX install: Cannot resize partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.