Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how long should it take to edit a 20 minute short?

I know this isn't really a technical question but I figured their would be enough experts here to give me their 2 cents. So....

I have an editor who I fear is taking advantage of me.

The trouble is, I've already paid him 90% of his pay, and he is only half way done editing a short film with a runtime of 20 minutes or so. We have about 120 gigs of 1080p footage we shot.

I've been screwed over in the past by VFX people who kept stalling, then never got it done so i'm wondering, is this unusual for an edit of a short film to take 3 months? Because at the rate we are going that's how long it will take. Not to mention I have the same guy doing the sound edit as well...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 3:33 PM

TThere is no way to answer that. There are way too many variables, how much material, too much, too little, how good's the script, how well it's shot, directed, how good's the sound, how good's the editor, how good on the equipment being used. Depends how long the change list is too.

9 replies

Feb 24, 2015 11:36 PM in response to Nothapy

WHat the other said...

but I dare to say:

if it's a 'simple' just-cutting job, doing that full time, it should be manageable within 2 months.

if it is a 'private' editor, working a few hours per weekend, lots of comp parts, tons of colo correction, zillions of audio clips, it could indeed need some time, ....

another factor is YOU!

did you just dumped a few gigabytes of raws and told your editor "glue it together!"?

does any sort of script exist?

does the editor allows you watching "work in progress" and you like "can we change this and that, and no and yes, and I dunno?"

😝

FInal word about payday:

traditionally, you pay a third on signing the contract, a third when project actually starts and the last third when you decide "ok, done"

giving away 90% when project is in its beginning is't that ...... Smart, hm 😉

Feb 28, 2015 8:40 AM in response to Nothapy

I've read your post several times. Here's what I see: an inexperienced producer who has found it is very easy to blame the staff. But that's based on the information and the tone in your post.

External editors and effects houses work from accurate scripts, storyboards, and clear instructions that allow them to meet mutually agreeable and achievable contractual deadlines. Sure, you may have hired incompetents or fools or ripoff artists but it's not likely. You've got took at the quality, professionalism, and thoroughness of your contributions to this project as closely as you are examining and criticising theirs.

Production is a collaborative and volatile craft. It can all go wrong in an instant with the wrong thing said, unclear or unrealistic expectations, a rude or ignorant or brittle member of the staff, sudden illness, busted computer, or a better or more lucrative or more fun job comes along and someone vanishes. Any of these things happens…and everything changes.

If you've figured out you're not 50% of the problem, put on your big boy pants (or big girl pants) and make some phone calls. Get everyone in the same room, figure out what went wrong without placing blame, how you're all going to work together to fix it, and set some realistc goals. Do this over lunch in a quiet room and, since your'e the producer, you pay the bill.

Umm, you should be prepared emotionally to find out you're 50% of the problem.

how long should it take to edit a 20 minute short?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.