Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maxed out MBA vs Standard MBP

I am currently a Senior in High School and we are provided 11" MacBook Air (2012) w/2GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD 4000 Graphics, and 121 GB Flash Storage. I'm most likely going to be attending Belmont University as a Music Business Major. My main concerns are speed and overall performance in a laptop while dealing with high-powered professional software. My current choices would be between a maxed out MacBook Air (2014) vs a Standard MacBook Pro (2014). Also, being a Music Major, should I invest in a decent sound card? Internal or External? If someone could help me, that would be awesome! Thank you!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 3:10 PM

2 replies

Feb 25, 2015 12:06 PM in response to cartercameron

To be honest I would look at a refurb mbp with a mechanical hard disk, especially for your needs. I suggest staying far away from the newer generations coming out of apple. I do physical data recovery, as in a cleanroom and deepspar operation, and I also repair computers. The SSDs in these new apple laptops fail at a tremendous rate and I can't pull data from them. I had one last week and one this week that had catastrophic failures somewhere on the SSD. The price for a replacement SSD starts at around $450 and goes up to about $600. That's half the cost of a newer mbp.

An earlier version of the mbp will suit your needs just fine and you won't risk losing data to a proprietary and outlandishly expensive SSD down the road. The built in sound on apple products is pretty good but an external USB DAC is going to be much better. I personally use a rather inexpensive soundblaster DAC I got from Amazon.

EDIT: The reason I suggest a mechanical hard disk based storage option is the ease of upgrades to the entire PC. The hard disk can be easily replaced with a standard SSD and the RAM can be upgraded. You CANNOT upgrade RAM on anything made by apple these days - a huge turn off for someone who wants to keep a machine for longer than a few years. The SSDs are upgradable if you'd like to pay out the nose.

Maxed out MBA vs Standard MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.