Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad sound quality streaming audio via Airport Express

I am streaming audio from iPhone to Apple Airport Express (Airplay). Via optical cable the signal goes to Cambridge DacMagic and then to Stereo Amplifier. Sound is not good, there's some kind of 'chattering'.

When using AirFoil instead of Airplay sound is much better, but then gaps appear from time to time.

Please tell me, what can be the reason for it? And how to solve?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 4:48 PM

9 replies

Mar 1, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for your attention Mr.Tesserax!

I did some tests, using the last minute of "Love me like you do" from Ellie Goulding via Spotify (it is very mássive music!)...
Headphone directly to Airport Express: Sound was awful!

And then headphone directly to iPhone: The same!

So maybe there is something wrong with the music-file on Spotify!? Or with Spotify?

As a classical music-lover I want to be sure my equipment is optimal!

Best Regards!

Mar 1, 2015 10:52 AM in response to peter.roek

As you know, Spotify, uses Ogg Vorbis audio files for streaming ... and it does so at the following bitrates:

• 96 kbps for normal quality on mobile devices
  • 160 kbps for standard quality on desktop or high quality for mobile devices
  • 320 kbps for high quality on desktop or extreme quality for mobile devices. Note: Requires subscription to their premium service.

As a classical lover, I would assume that you are getting this higher level of service.

On the other hand, iTunes streams at 256 kbps ... so if you are not getting Spotify's upgraded service, iTunes would offer a better solution for sound quality.

If you play the same song from iTunes to the Express with headphones is it still distorted? If so, it could mean at least two things: 1) Your Express may be faulty, or 2) The placement of the Express may not be ideal for streaming.

Something I didn't catch is which exact model of the Express do you have? Are you streaming primarily over wireless? Is so, what radio mode is your wireless router using. That is, is it 802.11n? Is the Express the only router in your current network? Where is it located in relationship to the Internet modem, (any other router,) and the stereo amplifier?

Mar 8, 2015 5:39 AM in response to Tesserax

Mr. Tessarex,

I use the Airport Exreme as router and Airport Express (2011, direct plug-in model)

Some facts I learned from the Airport-app on my iPhone:

Wireless clients from Airport Extreme:

• iPhone 150Mb/s (802.11 a/n) connection: excellent
  • Acer laptop 144Mb/s (802.11 b/g/n) connection: excellent

The Airport Express:

240Mb/s (802.11 a/n) connection: good

I bought the song "Love Me Like You Do" (Ellie Goulding) via iTunes.

As you adviced me I tried to play it via iTunes, and streamed it from iPhone to Airport Express.

Especially listening to the bombastic part of the song (from 3:14). Sound was tolerable.

Playing the song from iPhone via Spotify: sound is awfull, totally overloaded.

Playing the song from laptop via Spotify (Airfoil): sound is good.

Playing the song from laptop via iTunes (Airplay): sound is good.

The song never plays 'Excellent' in any way. I Think the song was recorded 'over the top'.

Even when you listen to it via headphone, it sounds very messy, "on the edge...".

I am happy that most songs sound good. So far playing Spotify via laptop and Airfoil gives the best results.

According to the figures from the Airport-app, it seems I will never get optimal bitrate with my current system.

As amplifier I use the Luxman L505u, usually connected tot Airport Express via Cambridge Dacmagic,

but during testing via normal analog cable (without Dacmagic). So far I think the Dagmagic is not the problem.

What do you think, after reading my story? 😕

Thanks in advance

Peter

Mar 9, 2015 1:24 PM in response to peter.roek

My only thought is that you appear to limit the audio quality testing to a single source file ... the song sung by Ms. Goulding. There are numerous "sample" songs that can be obtained from the web which may give you a better overall results in your testing.

You can either use songs recommended by others or use dedicated audio test files to accomplish the same thing. I find it a bit fun to do these tests and I get to sample some music I've never heard before.

The following are three examples. Trust me there are hundreds more out there.

1. Audio-Check: The Ultimate Headphone Test
  2. Head-Fi: Best songs for audio testings
  3. JamBlog: 7 Best songs for testing Speakers and Headphones

I also found the following an interesting read: Marc Urselli: The TRUTH about MUSIC Streaming Services ...

Bad sound quality streaming audio via Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.