Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My IPv6 keeps turning itself off. It seems this is also required to access my Airport Time Capsule?

My IPv6 keeps turning itself off. It seems this is also required to access my Airport Time Capsule?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 3:35 PM

4 replies

Feb 26, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Coates.tom

Good Morning Coates.tom,

The resources below will show how to test your IPv6 connection and reset your Airport Time Capsule if you are having issues with your network connection.

What is IPv6? - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202236

IPv6 offers other networking advantages. In most cases, computers and applications will detect and take advantage of IPv6-enabled networks and services without requiring any action from the user.

To test your IPv6 connectivity, you can visit Test your IPv6.

If you are having trouble accessing your Airport Time Capsule, you can reset it back to factory settings using the Airport Utility.

Airport Time Capsule User Guide

manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1645/en_US/airport_time_capsule_80211ac_s etup.pdf

If Your AirPort Time Capsule Isn’t Responding

Try unplugging it and plugging it back in.

If your AirPort Time Capsule still won’t respond, you may need to reset it to the factory default settings.

Important: Resetting your AirPort Time Capsule to factory default settings erases all of the current settings and resets them to their original state.

To reset your AirPort Time Capsule to its factory settings:

mm Use something pointed (such as a ballpoint pen) to press and hold the reset button until the status light flashes quickly (about 5 seconds).

Your AirPort Time Capsule resets with the following settings: Â Your AirPort Time Capsule receives its IP address using DHCP. Â The network name is reset to Apple Network XXXXXX (where XXXXXX is replaced with

the last six digits of the AirPort ID). Â The AirPort Time Capsule password is set to public.

If your AirPort Time Capsule still doesn’t respond, try the following:

1. 1 Unplug your AirPort Time Capsule.

2. 2 Use something pointed to press and hold the reset button while you plug in your AirPort Time Capsule.

Setting Advanced Options

To set advanced options, use AirPort Utility on your computer or download AirPort Utility for iOS from the App Store. You can set up a new AirPort Time Capsule or configure advanced settings, such as advanced security options, closed networks, DHCP lease time, access control, IPv6, and more.

To set advanced options or make changes to a network you’ve already set up: 1 Choose the wireless network you want to change.

On a Mac, use the Wi-Fi status menu in the menu bar.

On an iOS device, choose the network in Wi-Fi settings.
If you haven’t set up your AirPort Time Capsule, the default network name is Apple Network XXXXXX, where XXXXXX is the last six digits of the AirPort ID.

2 Open AirPort Utility. 3 Select the AirPort Time Capsule you want, then click Edit. 4 If you’re prompted for a password, enter it. 5 Adjust the settings you want for your AirPort Time Capsule and your network.

Have a great day!

- Judy

Oct 18, 2015 9:12 AM in response to judysings

Not sure if Coates.tom is referring to his Airport Time Capsule or his MacBook Pro System Preference Settings dropping the IPv6 setup? I am having a similar issue with only one of my MacBook Pros. Our Airport Extreme's IPv6 is enabled and incoming is blocked.

Have activated IPv6 for your MacBook Pro under advanced settings in the Network System Preference panel. The 2nd tab TCP/IP is where you activate IPv6. After activating it, I have no problems communicating with my Airport Extreme. BUT every time I reboot my MBP it turns off my IPv6. If I try to access my Airport Extreme from my MBP 2014 it shows that it is not part of my network, till I re-activate my MBP 2014 IPv6 under Network System Preference panel. I am able to access the Airport Extreme from our other MBP 2010 which does not revert back to default IPv6 settings.

Have followed all of the trouble shooting tips I can find. Rebooted everything and made sure my settings mirror our other Macs on our net. But only my 2014 MBP is dropping the IPv6 when I reboot it. Even ran the IPV6 test mentioned in the above post after activating it with perfect results. Oh and we are running El Capitan on all our Macs, too.

Only my MBP mid 2014 is reverting to default IPv6 off settings, none of our older Macs in the house are having any issues with IPv6. We run several iPads, iPhones, a MBP 2010, and a iMac 2010 on the net. Anyone else having this issue and if so anyone figured out how to correct it?

Nov 21, 2015 3:36 PM in response to abmusic

Hi abmusic,

I am having the same issue except that I don't even have to reboot. My MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), just reverts to IPv6: Off whenever it feels like it. Thought it was the Airport Extreme router but all my other Macs are fine. When this happens it cuts off access to the USB printer and external drive which are both connected to the router. Using exact same settings as my wife's airbook and my son's MBP. The only difference is I upgraded to El Capitain. Have you found any answers to your problem?

May 7, 2016 1:00 PM in response to rachmielm

I know this is an old thread, but this is happening on my iMac 5K running 10.11.4. (I have also experienced it on my MacBook Pro, but it has not happened in a while.)

I have IPv6 enabled on my AirPort Extreme, and it always remains enabled on the router without issue. On my iMac, the network interface is set to “Configure IPv6: Automatically.” It stays enabled for some time (weeks, months), and then at some point it switches to “Off,” which is not even a UI-selectable option. (I did find an article explaining how to turn off IPv6 via Terminal, after which the UI will show IPv6 as turned off.)

After re-enabling “Configure IPv6: Automatically,” the interface gets IPv6 addresses and DNS but then at some point switches back to Off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.