Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning rainbow wheel for long periods on File Open commands in Acrobat and Office 365 programs

Hardware & Software:

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009)

77GB of free hard disk space

8GB RAM

Running OS X Yosemite (Version 10.10.2)

Over the last few days, when I try to execute a File Open command from Adobe Acrobat or Office 365 programs (even from an innocuous location such as Documents), I get the spinning rainbow wheel for long periods of time (10 seconds to minutes) before I am able to select a file to open. I copied messages from Console after a File Open command for each of Adobe Acrobat and Excel(the selected location was Documents), given below:

Excel Log Messages

2/24/15 5:50:50.970 PM WindowServer[147] disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Microsoft Excel" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

2/24/15 5:51:01.280 PM NetAuthSysAgent[684] AFP error -1 mapped to EIO

2/24/15 5:51:01.281 PM NetAuthSysAgent[684] ERROR: AFP_GetServerInfo - connect failed 5

2/24/15 5:51:01.281 PM NetAuthSysAgent[684] AFP error -1 mapped to EIO

2/24/15 5:51:01.739 PM WindowServer[147] common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Microsoft Excel" after 11.77 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

Adobe Acrobat Log Messages

2/24/15 5:58:22.145 PM bird[257] Assertion failed: ![_xpcClients containsObject:client]

2/24/15 5:58:23.454 PM WindowServer[147] disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Acrobat" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

2/24/15 5:58:29.538 PM NetAuthSysAgent[708] AFP error -1 mapped to EIO

2/24/15 5:58:29.538 PM NetAuthSysAgent[708] ERROR: AFP_GetServerInfo - connect failed 5

2/24/15 5:58:29.538 PM NetAuthSysAgent[708] AFP error -1 mapped to EIO

2/24/15 5:58:29.722 PM WindowServer[147] common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Acrobat" after 7.27 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

Can anyone give me an idea of what these messages mean and how I can solve this problem?

If I'm not in the correct Community for this question, could someone kindly tell me where I should re-post?

Thanks.

David Walker

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 3:59 PM

Please unmount any network volumes, or disconnect from the network by turning off Wi-Fi or unplugging the Ethernet cable, whichever is applicable. Any difference?

6 replies

Feb 24, 2015 7:03 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, Linc, that solved the problem as a diagnostic test. I thought maybe the programs were looking out into the network; I had been connected and sharing files with a Windows server, so I had previously ejected the connection to the Windows server and that didn't solve the problem. I hadn't thought to go as far as turning off the WiFi, which did solve it. So what are the programs searching for in the network? I don't think it is the Windows server, as ejecting the server didn't solve the problem. I have an iCloud drive, but neither Acrobat nor the Office programs should be accessing the iCloud drive, at least from what I can see from the iCloud preferences. I did notice that the Keychain is also checked as using iCloud, but I don't know if that could be causing it. But I guess I'm getting ahead of your instructions. What do I do now to keep this from happening with the WiFi turned on?

Thanks.

Feb 27, 2015 9:19 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yes; I have previously connected to an iMac at this location using File Sharing. However, in my attempts to solve this problem last week, I had already unchecked File Sharing in System Preferences. Tonight, I also deleted the folder from the window in the File Sharing System Preferences page, then rebooted. The problem still persists.

I try not open files across a server line, i.e., I try always to copy a file to the local computer and open it there. I may have gotten careless and tried to open a file from the Windows server with either or both Acrobat and Office 365. Although this was an SMB share, is it possible that these programs are now trying to connect to the Windows server on a File Open?

I had about decided to quit chasing this problem; we spend about two weeks every two months at this Boston location, and I'll be returning to my Florida home this weekend. So I decided I would see what the situation was when I returned to my native habitat, although I may be chasing this problem again in our trip to the Boston area in April.

The other thing I wondered (I guess I can't quite let it go), is whether there is a command line in Terminal that would kill all AFP shares.

In any case, thanks for your help; you're very knowledgeable.

Spinning rainbow wheel for long periods on File Open commands in Acrobat and Office 365 programs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.