Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No WiFi when in Bootcamp with Windows 7

I have a MBP running Yosemite with Bootcamp running Windows 7 installed. My problem is that no matter how many wifi drivers I try in Windows I cannot get the wireless card to pull up any networks. It works fine in OS X - sees all networks and connects with a strong signal.

But when I switch to Windows here's what happens:

I can see the wifi bars down in the system tray but when I highlight and click it nothing pops up... When I hover the cursor over the bars it highlights and when I click it, the symbol depresses like its being pressed but no network list pops up at all... Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? I'm thinking it might be a compatibility issue between Yosemite and Bootcamp/Windows 7? I have downloaded and installed the latest bootcamp wifi drivers and still no go... Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Bootcamp

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 6:11 PM

21 replies

Feb 24, 2015 7:06 PM in response to Chicagownage

1. Yosemite and BC/Windows have no interaction with each other. They both directly interact with the hardware. Virtual Machines are different.

2. Trying drivers causes more problems than it solves. Please see Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support and pick the BC Driver set that is specific to your Mac model/year. Download them to a USB2 flash drive and install/repair - Boot Camp: Install or repair Boot Camp drivers. Create a System Restore point before you try other drivers, so you can roll back to a stable set of drivers.

3. Does your ethernet connection work correctly?

4. If you have a conflict between two different connection managers/drivers, neither will let the other work properly.

5. Is this a fresh new install of Windows, which can be removed? If yes, then the worst case scenario is to remove/reinstall and use the BC drivers, before anything else is tried.

Feb 25, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the detailed response. The ethernet connection does function properly. No issues there. I will try your steps 2 & 3 and report back with the results. This is not a fresh install of Windows and does contain lots of data and programs that would be a pain to reinstall. Completely starting fresh would be my last resort but if its what I gotta do to fix it then so be it...

Feb 25, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Chicagownage

Can you post a screen shot of the Windows Device Manager, especially an 'Other Devices'? You can use http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/snipping-tool-faq#1TC=windows-7 to capture and post them. Specific devices like Wireless can be addressed, if necessary.

If you have significant work on Windows, let us see if it can be repaired without a re-installation.

Feb 25, 2015 5:26 PM in response to Chicagownage

Based on Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support the drivers for your MBP are Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621. Using the Bootcamp.xml file in the package, the version number is 5.106.199.1, but your screen shot shows 6.30.223.215.

<Name>Broadcom 802.11 SDIO Network Adapter Driver

<InfName>bcmwl6.inf</InfName>

<Class> Net</Class>

<ClassGUID> {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}</ClassGUID>

<CatalogFile>BCM43XX64.CAT</CatalogFile>

<Provider>Broadcom</Provider>

<DriverVer>12/13/2013, 6.30.223.215</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>bcmwlhighsd5.sys</ServiceBinary>

<HardwareID></HardwareID>

<isX64>Both</isX64>

</Name>

<Name>Broadcom 802.11 SDIO Network Adapter Driver

<InfName>bcmwl63.inf</InfName>

<Class> Net</Class>

<DriverVer>12/13/2013, 6.30.223.215</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>bcmwlhighsd5.sys</ServiceBinary>

<isX64>Both</isX64>

</Name>

<Name>Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter Driver

<InfName>bcmwl6.inf</InfName>

<Class>Net</Class>

<DriverVer>11/13/2012, 5.106.199.1</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>bcmwl5.sys</ServiceBinary>

<isX64>Both</isX64>

</Name>

One option you can try is to uninstall the current driver and reboot and ensure that the WiFi adapter shows up in 'Other Devices' (without any drivers). Install this version and test and post back your results.

Feb 27, 2015 4:00 PM in response to Chicagownage

You should look for any driver loading errors. If the driver reports inconsistencies in Registry settings. Is there any software that performs firewall functions. There may be Kernel error messages about devices not powering up correctly. Windows troubleshooter also has the ability to reset the card and reload drivers, which should be tested. I have access to a W7 BC, that i want to try, but replicating your WiFi environment is the difficult part.

Can you turn off Bluetooth and test WiFi?

The driver version I have for a 802.11ac is 6.30.223.170 dated 7 Sep 2013.

No WiFi when in Bootcamp with Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.