Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very Odd Performance Issues

When I start up my iMac, Safari and other Apple apps that access the Internet work fine. But after a few minutes of use Safari stops loading new web pages, Mail can't receive mail, I can't connect to iTunes and I can't connect to the App Store. HOWEVER, Skype and FaceTime work fine. The only fix is to restart the computer and then I only have things working for a couple of minutes before the problem reoccurs. I have run a virus scanner which found no problem.

any idea what might be causing this bizarre behavior? Thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 5:05 PM

5 replies

Feb 24, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Tangram_ca

Get rid of the "virus scanner". Uninstall it according to its instructions. Don't use any other technique.

Determine if the problems also occur in "Safe Mode":

• Safe Mode or "Safe Boot" is a troubleshooting mode that bypasses all third party system extensions and loads only required system components. Read about it: Starting up in Safe Mode
  • You must disable FileVault before you can start your Mac in Safe Mode.
  • Starting your Mac in Safe Mode will take longer than usual, graphics will not render smoothly, audio is disabled on some Macs, and some programs (iTunes for example) may not work at all.
  • Merely starting your Mac in Safe Mode is not intended to resolve the problem, it's to observe its performance without certain additional components.
  • To end Safe Mode restart your Mac normally. Shutdown will take longer as well.

Feb 28, 2015 4:00 PM in response to Tangram_ca

Identifying the third party system modifications that may be responsible for the behavior you describe is a process of elimination, but if you don't know where to start EtreCheck can help with that:

Apple Support Communities contributor etresoft wrote a very useful app to quickly gather certain system information that may help point to a cause of this problem. Read about it here. It contains a link to download EtreCheck. Do not download it from anywhere else (such as may be found by following the results of an Internet search).

Run EtreCheck after starting your Mac normally (not in Safe Mode). It will take a moment to run as it collects its data.

Copy and paste its output in a reply. Use its "Copy report to clipboard" button.

Do not be concerned about anything that says "Problem" or “failed” or anything else that may appear in red. Those attention-getters don't necessarily indicate anything wrong.

EtreCheck was designed to remove any personal information (such as your computer's name and serial numbers) but if you see anything that looks like an email address or any other personal information that should not be divulged to others, please delete or obscure that information when you post the reply.

When you are finished with EtreCheck, quit the program. It occupies very little space, and you can keep it or drag it to the Trash as you wish.

Very Odd Performance Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.