Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite and iPhoto

I've had Mac's since '86 - and I've NEVER had such a problem as I'm having with my new MacPro laptop. My iPhoto keeps telling me "there is a problem and would I like to ignore it or send to Apple" In all the blogs I've also never seen an answer. It is supposed to come with this v. normal, usual app - and yet it is totally absent. I've tried, also, to upgrade my old laptop to the most recent iPhoto so that when this IS available on my new laptop, I will be able to transfer my photos. So far, that didn't work either - it said it downloaded, but was not to be found. I'm totally frustrated. I won't leave APPLE, but I'm wanting to get someone's attention that this is a SERIOUS problem and no-one seems to be paying attention to us. My alert box says:

Check with the developer to make sure iPhoto works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Problem with iPhoto, Yosemite

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 4:36 PM

4 replies

Feb 24, 2015 4:45 PM in response to hsk008

sorry you are having problems

But this is strictly a user to user forum - you will not get anyone's attention except experienced users here

We may be able to help but we need information beyond you having a problem

what version of iphoto do you have? Where is the iphoto library located? If on an external drive what format is the EHD and how is it connected ?

see Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question for hints on asking better questions

LN

Feb 24, 2015 6:13 PM in response to LarryHN

The main problem is that i don't have any iPhoto access on my new Macbook Pro., therefore no version available for me to report. It came with the message as I reported - I think that was my frustration, I've never had a normally included Mac application unavailable. Message heading as follows:

iPhoto cannot be opened because of a problem.

Feb 24, 2015 10:27 PM in response to hsk008

"there is a problem and would I like to ignore it or send to Apple"

When you see this alert, press the "Report" button. It will write an error log. Copy and paste the first fifty lines of this report into your next message. Usually the error log will include the iPhoto version number and he exact error message and perhaps give us a clue.

Feb 25, 2015 12:16 AM in response to hsk008

My alert box says:

Check with the developer to make sure iPhoto works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

Start by reinstalling iPhoto:

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2. Download it from the App Store to reinstall It's on your Purchases List* there.

*Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Yosemite and iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.