Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

None of my airports show in utility on iPad, all show in iMac

Here are the facts:

- I have an Airport Extreme (6th gen) as Router from cable modem. Modem is bridged. They are located in my basement.

- I have a 5th Gen Extreme in an upstairs room connected via Lan to a switch which is in turn connected to 6th Gen AE.

- I have an Airport Express on the 1st floor connected wirelessly.

Symptoms / Issues:

- all Airports show up in the Utility on my iMac (which is connected wirelessly)

- iPad 2 Air had been showing the primary Extreme with the other two grayed out as no found. I closed all apps and restarted iPad and now it doesn't show any of them, not even grayed out. It only shows Internet globe as green.

- Remote app on iPad will not pickup either AppleTv any longer.

- an old iPhone 4 does pickup the AppleTV (one of them), see note below.

- I previously tried uninstalling and reinstalling remote app from iPad. no dice

Secondary issue:

- 5th Gen AE is always falling out of the utility (all of them). This has been occurring for many months. I can unplug and plug it back in and it returns. Light is green and I assume its providing wireless in that part of the house, just not found in utility apps.

- when the 5th gen AE is out of the utility, none of the remotes will see the AppleTV in that part of the house. When it is in the utility, the Remote apps see the AppleTV in that part of the house again.

I really have two issues. My bigger one is all of the airports now not existing on my remote app on the iPad at all, as if they had never been there. The lesser one, but still frustrating, is the 5th gen AE always falling off. I really wanted the Airport to work as a complete home setup when I switched over from D-Link a few years back. But I've experienced these types of difficulties from the beginning.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 7:58 PM

6 replies

Mar 6, 2015 10:27 PM in response to Forcefour

Sorry .. apple reps are supposed to pick up questions that roll on for more than 24 hours.. yours has gone much much longer.

The question is not easy to answer.. I have always found the ipad version of the utility reliable.. much more so than the mac edition..

The only way to restore things is factory reset the entire network.. but I strongly recommend the following even if you don't use Yosemite.

If you do use Yosemite it can introduce a whole new series of bugs..

Please read AE for TC.. Airport Extreme and Time Capsule are basically identical .. only TC follows a gen behind.. so Gen6 AE = Gen5 TC.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

ie Start from a factory reset. No files are lost on the hard disk doing this.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen5 and TCwifi for basestation and wireless respectively.

Even better if the issue is more wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense. But this can be tried in the second round.

2. Use all passwords that also comply but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. Ensure the TC always takes the same IP address.. you will need to do this on the main router using dhcp reservation.. or a bit more complex setup using static IP in the TC. But this is important.. having IP drift all over the place when Yosemite cannot remember its own name for 5 min after a reboot makes for poor networking. If the TC is main router it will not be an issue.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. but this change will mess up your TM backup.. so be prepared to do a new full backup. Sorry.. keep this one for second round if you want to avoid a new backup.

5. Mount the TC disk in the computer manually.

In Finder, Go, Connect to server from the top menu,

Type in SMB://192.168.0.254 (or whatever the TC ip is which you have now made static. As a router by default it is 10.0.1.1 and I encourage people to stick with that unless you know what you are doing).

You can use name.. SMB://TCgen5.local where you replace TCgen5 with your TC name.. local is the default domain of the TC and doesn't change.

However names are not so easy as IP address.. nor as reliable. At least not in Yosemite they aren't. The domain can also be an issue if you are not plugged or wireless directly to the TC.

6. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only.

There is a lot more jiggery pokery you can try but the above is a good start.. if you find it still unreliable.. don't be surprised.

You might need to do some more work on the laptop itself. eg Reset the PRAM.. has helped some people. Clean install of the OS is also helpful if you upgrade installed.

Tell us how you go.

Someone posted a solution.. See this thread.

Macbook can't find Time Capsule anymore

Start from the bottom and work up.. I have a list of good network practice changes but I have avoided Yosemites bug heaven.

This user has had success and a few others as well.

RáNdÓm GéÉzÁ

Yosemite has serious DNS bug in the networking application.. here is the lets say more arcane method of fixing it by doing a network transplant from mavericks.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-yo u-can-do-to-fix-it/

If you want further help.. please give us screenshots of the airport utility setup of all the units.. once you do the factory reset it will show up again in the utility in both mac and iOS.. it is just that it will disappear again under some circumstances.

I need to know particularly errors that come up and for any extend wireless they can become really messy.

Mar 7, 2015 2:56 PM in response to LaPastenague

I do not have a Time Capsule. My router is a 6th gen Airport Extreme. I've already done a full reset. Worked for awhile and then it didn't. It's worse than ever now. iPad Utility doesn't recognize anything. Not even the first Airport Extreme (router) let alone the two extenders. It shows green for internet and that's it. The Mac version of the utility is showing all three but has the wireless Airport Express connecting to the extender and not the router. The AppleTV Remote app does not pickup either of the AppleTVs, indicating that the I need to turn Home Sharing on ... when it is. If I fire the AppleTV up with its own hard remote - It initially indicates that there is no network ... but then it gets on. It's just slow. Basically - the Apple Airport Network is screwy. I am getting network but the apple devices appear to be having issues with it. I read somewhere that the IPv6 settings may be causing issues and that I should turn them off.

Mar 7, 2015 3:12 PM in response to Forcefour

No 6 in my list is to fix IPv6.. but that is for the Mac not iOS

Post a few screenshots of the whole setup.. you will need to do it from the Mac since the iOS is not showing up.. and let us see what is going on.. but yes,, since yosemite and iOS8 apple does some strange stuff with wireless, attempting to do peer to peer airplay. This can totally mess the wireless..

Also please note.. I made a general disclaimer at the beginning.. TC as I use and AE you use are one and the same... only TC adds a hard disk.

Please read AE for TC.. Airport Extreme and Time Capsule are basically identical .. only TC follows a gen behind.. so Gen6 AE = Gen5 TC.

May 20, 2015 10:15 PM in response to LaPastenague

I do not have a Time Capsule. My router is a 6th gen Airport Extreme. I've already done a full reset. Worked for awhile and then it didn't. It's worse than ever now. Here is what I see:

- Airport Utility on my iPad Air 2 shows nothing but the Internet icon - green

- Airport Utility on my iMac shows:

User uploaded file

this is an accurate depiction of my setup ... except that the 2nd floor Extreme is again 'Device Not Found'. It is hard wired to the router through a switch and is green on the unit itself. If I unplug it and plug it back in, wait for it to go green, it will again be found in the OSX utility ... for awhile. At some point in the next few days it will go back to what you see above.

Summary:

1. Why does the iOS utility show nothing but the Internet icon and how would I correct?

2. Why does the 2nd floor Airport continually fall off the network? Or is it just the utility it is falling off of? Looking directly at it - I'd think it was fine but the utility says its not here. Not sure which is right. Do I have 2nd floor network working fine and its just the utility? How can I correct?

This has been driving me crazy for a long time now.

Thank you.

None of my airports show in utility on iPad, all show in iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.