Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emailing from a website link opens lots of windows

When trying to send an email from a link on a website, instead of opening a window for the email, it opens what appears to be an infinite number of windows instantly. Browser freezes and I have to force quit. It doesn't happen when I fill in a contact form email. It does happen with all browsers. Any suggestions as to why this started happening? Can't always copy the email address since it sometimes just says something like "click to email us" . BTW, I have McAfee antivirus - don't think it is a virus, but I guess it could be. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 8:20 PM

23 replies

Feb 25, 2015 9:41 AM in response to mbh54

Uninstall the McAfee product, which is worse than the imaginary "viruses" would be if they really existed, by following the instructions on whichever of the pages linked below is applicable:

How to install or uninstall McAfee Internet Security for Mac

How to manually remove VirusScan for Mac 8.6.x using a removal script

How to uninstall and reinstall McAfee Agent 4.x on Macintosh computers

Note that if you have already tried to uninstall the software, you may have to reinstall it in order to finish the job. If you have a different version of the product, the procedure may be different.

Back up all data before making any changes.

Feb 25, 2015 1:58 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hmmmm. I appreciate your advice, and I will give it a try, but this problem started a long time after I installed McAfee, so I am not sure why it would have all of a sudden started causing this problem? I also installed McAfee on my husband's computer, and he isn't having this problem. We have almost identical Macbook Pros. Just so that I am clear about your suggestion, are you saying that I should uninstall and leave it uninstalled and not have any virus software at all on my computer?I have had Norton and Mackeeper in the past. The only reason that I have McAfee is because it is free with Uverse. Thanks for taking the time to respond! Appreciate it!

Feb 26, 2015 4:38 AM in response to mbh54

McAfee, Norton and MacKeeper are all junk that should never be used on a Mac. (In the case of MacKeeper, I'd even go so far as to call it a scam.) For information on how to properly protect your Mac against malware, see my Mac Malware Guide. (Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

As for the problem you're having, if removing McAfee doesn't solve the problem, download a copy of EtreCheck:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Run it and post the report that it generates here. That will give us more information about the state of your computer, including the third-party software you have installed.

Mar 16, 2015 11:34 AM in response to thomas_r.

Sorry this took so long, but I wanted to try everything you suggested before posting again.

Unistalled McAfee and MacKeeper, read MacMalware Guide, downloaded and installed AdwareMedic and removed some adware. Still having the emailing problem. Then I ran EtreCheck and here are the results: I am not sure what to do with them:)

Just noticed that ZipCloud is still on here - will uninstall that as well. I realize that my hard drive free space is low, but I have some allocated to Parallels and this is a small and old hard drive - just don't have a lot of space, and I am constantly deleting things. I usually try to keep 20 GB free - I know I need to do that. My bad:)

Also, I have ordered 4GB of Ram to replace one of my 2GB, so hopefully having 6GB will help.

Thanks so much for your help!

EtreCheck Problem description:

I have uninstalled MacKeeper and McAfee on advice of the community. I also downloaded AdwareMedic and installed it. It located some adware on my computer and I deleted that. I have reset all of my browsers, and the caches clear when I close them. I am still having a problem:

When I try to email by clicking a link on a website, the browser (any of my browsers - Firefox, Safari or Chrome) opens an unlimited number of tabs entitled email (pages are blank) until I am able to force quit. This doesn’t happen if I complete a form on a contact page and press send, it only happens if I click on a link (for example a columnist’s email at an online newspaper or a link to email a video).

Also, my computer is running slowly. Activity Monitor shows that about 1 GB is necessary (system or root), but the rest is small programs or processes that it assigns to me as administrator, but I don’t know what most of them are, whether or not I need them and/or how to stop them from opening automatically. Those add up to about 2GB and my total memory is 4GB. I have deleted everything from “login items” under system preferences.

FYI, I have Parallels installed with Windows XP. Should probably upgrade Windows, but I only use it once a year for a windows only program that I use annually for tax purposes, so I don’t want to invest any more in that.

Can’t think of any other info that might be useful, but please ask if you need more info. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! Mary

EtreCheck version: 2.1.8 (121)

Report generated March 16, 2015 at 1:03:16 PM CDT

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2GHz) (Verified)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro3,1

1 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM1

2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery Health: Normal - Cycle count 41

Video Information: ℹ️

GeForce 8600M GT - VRAM: 128 MB

Color LCD 1152 x 720

SE32FY22 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10.2 (14C109) - Time since boot: 3:24:12

Disk Information: ℹ️

FUJITSU MHW2120BH disk0 : (120.03 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

MBHMacBkPro (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 119.17 GB (14.12 GB free) (Low!)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

GE 98134 GE 98134

Seagate Backup+ Desk 2 TB

disk2s1 (disk2s1) <not mounted> : 32 KB

Hendrix Seagate Backup Plus Drive (disk2s3) /Volumes/Hendrix Seagate Backup Plus Drive : 2.00 TB (744.01 GB free)

Western Digital My Book 1140 3 TB

WD Hendrix (disk1s1) /Volumes/WD Hendrix : 3.00 TB (2.26 TB free)

Logitech USB Optical Mouse

Apple Computer Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Anywhere

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️

/Library/StartupItems/Parallels

[not loaded] com.parallels.kext.Pvsvnic (3.0) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions

[loaded] com.nicesoft.driver.WirelessMediaKeyboardDriver (1.0.0 - SDK 10.7) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.PowSecDriverCore (5.2.4 - SDK 10.4) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.wdc.driver.1394HP (1.0.9) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.wdc.driver.USBHP (1.0.11) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions/Seagate Storage Driver.kext/Contents/PlugIns

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_4 (5.2.4 - SDK 10.4) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_5 (5.2.4 - SDK 10.5) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.SeagateDriveIcons (5.2.4 - SDK 10.4) [Click for support]

Startup Items: ℹ️

NkPtpEnumWT3: Path: /Library/StartupItems/NkPtpEnumWT3

Parallels: Path: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels

ParallelsTransporter: Path: /Library/StartupItems/ParallelsTransporter

Startup items are obsolete in OS X Yosemite

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[not loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.adobe.CS5ServiceManager.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.intego.netupdate.agent.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.intego.task.manager.notifier.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.parallels.mobile.prl_deskctl_agent.launchagent.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.barebones.textwrangler.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.intego.commonservices.daemon.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.intego.commonservices.icalserver.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.intego.task.manager.daemon.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.intego.washingmachine.daemon.plist [Click for support] [Click for details]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.parallels.mobile.dispatcher.launchdaemon.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.parallels.mobile.kextloader.launchdaemon.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.smithmicro.schedulerdaemon.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.akamai.client.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.akamai.single-user-client.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.jdibackup.ZipCloud.autostart.plist [Click for support] [Click for details]

[failed] com.jdibackup.ZipCloud.notify.plist [Click for support] [Click for details]

[running] com.nds.pcshow.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.nds.pcshow.uninstall.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.parallels.mobile.startgui.launchagent.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.smithmicro.cleaning.schedulermailer.plist [Click for support] [Click for details]

User Login Items: ℹ️

None

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 11.0.10 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Flash Player: Version: 17.0.0.134 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 11.0.10 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Photo Center Plugin: Version: Photo Center Plugin 1.1.2.2 [Click for support]

googletalkbrowserplugin: Version: 5.40.2.0 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support]

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0 - SDK 10.8

RealPlayer Plugin: Version: Unknown [Click for support]

DirectorShockwave: Version: 11.0.3r472 [Click for support]

npMotive: Version: 1.0.0 - SDK 10.7 [Click for support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 17.0.0.134 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

Yahoo! Installer 3: Version: 1.0.128 [Click for support]

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.30514.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

CouponPrinter-FireFox: Version: Version 1.1.5

CouponPrinter-FireFox_v2: Version: 1.1.10 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.4.4.2 [Click for support]

o1dbrowserplugin: Version: 5.40.2.0 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support]

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: Java 8 Update 31 Check version

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: Version: 12.3.6 [Click for support]

User internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

fbplugin_1_0_3: Version: Unknown [Click for support]

WebEx64: Version: 1.0 [Click for support]

CitrixOnlineWebDeploymentPlugin: Version: 1.0.105 [Click for support]

Picasa: Version: 1.0 [Click for support]

Safari Extensions: ℹ️

Open in Internet Explorer

Facebook Cleaner

1-ClickWeather

CustomSearchForSafari

Facebook Ads Blocker

defaultsearch

Firebug Lite for Safari

iMedia Converter Deluxe

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Akamai NetSession Preferences [Click for support]

Flash Player [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV [Click for support]

Growl [Click for support]

Java [Click for support]

NetUpdate [Click for support]

WDQuickView [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Skip System Files: NO

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

MBHMacBkPro: Disk size: 119.17 GB Disk used: 105.05 GB

Destinations:

WD Hendrix [Local]

Total size: 3.00 TB

Total number of backups: 108

Oldest backup: 2013-07-09 08:22:49 +0000

Last backup: 2015-03-16 16:09:05 +0000

Size of backup disk: Excellent

Backup size 3.00 TB > (Disk size 119.17 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

78% Spotlight

22% mds

9% WindowServer

1% Finder

0% AppleSpell

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

296 MB Finder

150 MB mds_stores

112 MB WindowServer

47 MB mds

47 MB CalendarAgent

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

1.25 GB Free RAM

1.77 GB Active RAM

618 MB Inactive RAM

651 MB Wired RAM

4.30 GB Page-ins

121 MB Page-outs

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Mar 16, 2015, 09:43:53 AM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Spotlight_2015-03-16-094353_[redacted].cpu_reso urce.diag [Click for details]

Mar 16, 2015, 09:33:50 AM Self test - passed

Mar 14, 2015, 12:25:56 AM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/firefox_2015-03-14-002556_[redacted].hang

Mar 13, 2015, 11:38:39 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Spotlight_2015-03-13-233839_[redacted].cpu_reso urce.diag [Click for details]

Mar 13, 2015, 11:22:05 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Spotlight_2015-03-13-232205_[redacted].cpu_reso urce.diag [Click for details]

Mar 13, 2015, 11:06:13 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Safari_2015-03-13-230613_[redacted].hang

Mar 13, 2015, 10:05:53 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent_2015-03-13-220553_[ redacted].cpu_resource.diag [Click for details]

Mar 14, 2015, 12:24:49 AM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Spotlight_2015-03-14-002449_[redacted].cpu_reso urce.diag [Click for details]

i

Mar 16, 2015 12:08 PM in response to mbh54

You've got a lot of stuff on that system that really shouldn't be there. Whether any of it is causing the problem you're having, I don't know, but that doesn't change the fact that you've got some cleanup to do.

First, you've got a very old version of Parallels (version 3.0) installed, from the looks of it. Support for Parallels 3 was ended five years ago, and I would not be surprised to find that it doesn't work well, if at all, in Yosemite. It should be uninstalled or upgraded to the current version (10), which is fully Yosemite-compatible.

Second, you've got some Seagate and Western Digital software installed. This software is not necessary to use Seagate or Western Digital drives, and generally should not be used. Some Western Digital software was recently implicated in data loss on many systems when something the software was doing wrong broke after an OS X upgrade.

Third, you've got VirusBarrier installed, which is generally very intrusive, and not something I recommend using. Stay away from these kinds of anti-virus software! If you replaced McAfee with this, go back and read the information at the link I gave you in my earlier post.

After you've done all that, if the problem persists, some additional information would be useful. Is this happening with one specific site, or with any site that has e-mail links?

Mar 16, 2015 12:34 PM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks for being so patient with me. I have had this computer since 07, and I have collected a lot along the way.

First, I already have Parallels 10 installed. I have upgraded twice (from 3 to to 7 to 10), and I guess 3 didn't uninstall when I installed the upgrades. That is easy to fix.

As for VirusBarrier - that isn't something I consciously installed recently - wasn't a replacement for McAfee. I guess I installed it at one point for some reason, but haven't been using it. If I replace McAfee, I will get something on the list in your article re: the ones that you tested. Probably whatever was most effective - I think you ranked them?

I had the Seagate and Western Digital Software installed because I had problems with both drives at different points in the past, and that is what they suggested. It worked to get them operable again, but I have had no problems since, so I can uninstall those if you think I should.

RE: the emailing problem - it occurs with all links and with all browsers. It started last summer, and at the time I don't think I had installed anything new which is why I originally thought it might be a virus of some kind.

Thanks again. Will delete above and check again.

Mar 16, 2015 12:40 PM in response to mbh54

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Mar 16, 2015 1:52 PM in response to mbh54

mbh54 wrote:

First, I already have Parallels 10 installed. I have upgraded twice (from 3 to to 7 to 10), and I guess 3 didn't uninstall when I installed the upgrades.

Ahh, that's okay then. There is a Parallels 3 kernel extension and a couple startup items still installed. They should be removed.

If I replace McAfee, I will get something on the list in your article re: the ones that you tested. Probably whatever was most effective - I think you ranked them?

Are you referring to the testing I did here?

Mac anti-virus testing 2014

If so, I've been regretting that testing for a while now. It has been routinely misinterpreted by many folks. You should be aware that that was just a test of one single characteristic of anti-virus software - how well it detected Mac malware - without any consideration of other characteristics. As a result, many people have mistakenly assumed that the top items on that list were the best, but on the contrary, I would actively recommend against some of those programs.

You'll find my current recommendations with regard to anti-virus software in my Mac Malware Guide.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

I had the Seagate and Western Digital Software installed because I had problems with both drives at different points in the past, and that is what they suggested. It worked to get them operable again, but I have had no problems since, so I can uninstall those if you think I should.

Yes, those programs aren't necessary, and due to past issues with this kind of software, I recommend not using it at all.

RE: the emailing problem - it occurs with all links and with all browsers.

Try restarting in safe mode:

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support

Test with Safari while in safe mode. Does the problem still happen?

Mar 16, 2015 2:36 PM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks. Removed Parallels 3. I think 7 was already gone.

Removed Seagate and Western Digital Software

Removed Virus Barrier - first I couldn't find it - part of an Intego program that drove me crazy and I thought it was already completely uninstalled. I think it is gone now.

Won't purchase or install anything new until I exhaust all possibilities with this because I don't want to further complicate the problem, but when I do, I will definitely look at your Mac Malware Guide.

Emptied trash, rebooted. No change.

Ran EtreCheck again. Thought that Parallels was gone, but it is showing this under Startup Items, and I rebooted after removing:

Startup Items: ℹ️

NkPtpEnumWT3: Path: /Library/StartupItems/NkPtpEnumWT3

Parallels: Path: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels

ParallelsTransporter: Path: /Library/StartupItems/ParallelsTransporter

Startup items are obsolete in OS X Yosemite

Can I go to Library and just delete items shown above or will I mess something up doing that?

I am going to try suggestion from Linc Davis above tonight and will post again.

Thanks!

Mar 16, 2015 2:29 PM in response to pmiles

Thanks for responding, but that isn't the case here. It happens with different links on different sites on all browsers - not just some fly by night sites. Have tried this with at least 50 emails over the past 6-9 months because I thought maybe that was it too. I am talking about links on pages of well established businesses. I also have an older desktop computer, and I have tried what you are suggesting on that - same link - no problems. I have tried on my husband's computer too - no problems. It isn't the links, but I can see where you might have thought that. Thank you.

Emailing from a website link opens lots of windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.