Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! iPod Touch deleted songs after connecting to iTunes but songs still show up in iTunes display

I connected my iPod Touch 64GB (iOS 5.1.1.) to iTunes (12.0.5.00) on my MacBook Pro (10.10.2) in order to add a couple of podcasts. Unfortunately, now only the podcasts show up on my iPod display -- they're the only audio media on the device. My 6500 songs, all my playlists are gone from the iPod (and iPod display) as well. However, on the iTunes display on my computer, when my iPod is connected, all my songs and playlists are there.

Hoping I can get some help figuring out what went wrong and how to get the songs back on my iPod so I don't have to manually add them all from a backup external hard drive (I don't keep them all in iTunes nor all the backup files on my computer's hard drive to save space).

You can see in the photo below on the left side of the display, 'On My Device', all my playlists remain. On the main display, all my music is there -- it's just not on the actual iPod itself. You can also see at the bottom of the screen, the iPod capacity bar, which shows that 56.80 GB is free, suggesting the songs are in fact, deleted from the iPod.

Can anyone assist? Any thoughts as to why the songs & playlists still show up in iTunes if they are in reality deleted from the iPod?

Thank you for any info or assistance, it's very much appreciated.

Derek

User uploaded file

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1, Connecting to iTunes (12.0.5.00)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 10:48 PM

7 replies

Feb 24, 2015 11:16 PM in response to D-Rock

Have you tried connecting ur device and selecting files where u've ur music.

Go to itunes-connect your device-select it-Music (we have two music file, we choose the first one, ubicated in the "settings" No "on my mobile"-synchronize music-All Music Library-synchronize(option at the botton of the screen/ itunes' window)

get lucky.

Don't forget to select each song in your left side.

Feb 25, 2015 1:59 AM in response to lllaass

And I've now tried connecting the iPod to an older Macbook running iTunes 12.0.0.140 and I'm getting the same thing -- the songs and media shows up under 'Devices' on the left, but they are not actually there. Trying to double click on them brings up the ⚠ symbol. Wondering how the 'ghost' effect of them showing up in iTunes can happen if they are no longer on the iPod itself.

Thanks again for any thoughts, suggestions, or assistance.

Feb 25, 2015 9:57 AM in response to D-Rock

I've got the same exact problem. I tried to reset my ipod, reinstall itunes, use a different computer... Itunes keeps deleting all my songs (randomly) but shows the titles when I connect it to my computer. It's very annoying though, has anyone find a solution?

The deleting thing is completely random also, so I never know when adding a song will lead to it.

In my case the itunes I'm using it's version 12.1.1.4.

Help! iPod Touch deleted songs after connecting to iTunes but songs still show up in iTunes display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.