Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay not working with YouTube app

Hi everyone,

Just recently I am no longer able to use AirPlay with the iOS YouTube app.

The AirPlay icon appears in the YouTube app, but as soon as I tap the icon it turn blues and the TV switches to AirPlay where I get the spinning-loading icon for about 3 seconds but it then drops out and goes back the Apple TV home screen.

I am able to mirror my devices with AirPlay and Apple TV 2 with no problems, it's only the YouTube app is where I'm having issues.

My iPhone 6 and iPad Air are using iOS 8 whilst my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are on iOS 7.

Am I missing something?

Appreciate any advice and assistance 🙂

AppleTV 2

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 3:34 AM

17 replies

Mar 22, 2015 11:29 AM in response to chuck_3rd

I have the same problem -- every time I try to play a video through the Youtube app on my iPad and AppleTV, I select AppleTV on the iPad via Airplay on the iOs "pull up" menu but after about two seconds the iPad changes back from "AppleTV" to "iPad" on the Airplay setting. I have restarted and rebooted everything (iPad, AppleTV box, my wireless router), but it doesn't help. The iPad/AppleTV/Airplay combination works fine with other apps, e.g. Facebook, so the problem is pretty clearly with the Youtube app (updated 3/17/15).

Nov 11, 2015 6:16 PM in response to Ramalama2

Youtube via airplay to appleTv from my iPhone not working in iOS 9.1. I gave up and use chromecast from my iPhone. It just works. Quicker and smoother. It wakes flips my Samsung tv input to itself and starts playing. AppleTv requires me to manually switch to its input and then doesn't work anyway. Chromecast works better with my iPhone than appleTv does.

AirPlay not working with YouTube app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.