Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't open any applications on my old Imac G5

Hi!After I reinstalled the original OSX 10.3 on my old Imac G5 20 inch. bought in2005, I can't open any applications and access my files. How do I fix that? Thanks! Michel D

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 6:09 AM

3 replies

Feb 26, 2015 1:23 AM in response to Brian Nesse

Hi! Brian
Thanks for your reply!
I reinstalled the OS 10.3 from the original disks i got when I purchased the G5. I can't open anything. I can't even see any files that I had before the reinstallment. Ithey must be there still because the hard drive shows that I have only 15Gigs of space left out of the 150 G of the total capacity. When I click on the apps icons at the bottom of the sceen nothing happens. I also tried to install the most recentOS for that machine (OSX 10.5 leopard), the installment starts but stalls after a while, the little coloured wheel starts spinning for ever. I womder if there's some hardware problem!!! This has been a great machine and i'd like to keep it alive.Thanks for any input.

Cordialement!

Michel D.

Feb 26, 2015 8:17 AM in response to mdaudin

Did you erase and re-install? If so, you deleted all your files.

Did you just install the OS over the top of what was already installed? If so, you've almost certainly left the OS in an unusable state.

It sounds like you are in the 2nd scenario. Honestly, this isn't a problem you are going to solve in the discussion boards. If you have access to an Apple Store, they should be able to help straighten this out. Otherwise, you should find a knowledgable Mac tech who can help you back up what needs to be saved, and get a functional OS reinstalled.

I can't open any applications on my old Imac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.