Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail freezes on iPad Air

Hi.

I am having a problem with mail freezing and forcing me restart my iPad which is becoming very annoying. It doesn't happen all of the time

but i am sure there is a problem somewhere as it happens when using either my gmail or hotmail accounts and the iPad never freezes unless i am using

mail.

I hope someone could give some advice please.

Adrian

Ipad Air v1

I.O.S. 8.1.3

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 7:47 AM

Hi Adrian,

If you are having issues with your iPad becoming unresponsive when using the Mail application, you may want to try some things to troubleshoot.

First, quit all running applications and test again -

Force an app to close in iOS

Next, I would try restarting and if needed resetting the iPad -

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue is still present, you may want to restore the iPad as a new device -

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2015 7:47 AM in response to PING11

Hi Adrian,

If you are having issues with your iPad becoming unresponsive when using the Mail application, you may want to try some things to troubleshoot.

First, quit all running applications and test again -

Force an app to close in iOS

Next, I would try restarting and if needed resetting the iPad -

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue is still present, you may want to restore the iPad as a new device -

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Feb 26, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Brett L

Hi Brett,

Many thanks for the advice.

I have followed step 1 so with a bit of luck it might sort it out. I have tried the reset/restart option a few times in the past but the mail still freezes.

Step 3 is the last resort but if the other 2 options don't work i will have to choice than to restore.

I will keep you posted on what happens

Regards Adrian

Feb 26, 2015 5:35 PM in response to PING11

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday on my ipad 3. The mail just kept checking and checking for mail, and nothing new came in.

Then it froze completely. I tried rebooting, shutting it off and restarting and that didn't work. Finally I had to delete my Gmail account and start over.

This totally fixed the problem. Go to Settings>mail>contacts, click on your email address, click delete account (delete will be spinning as you do this), then 6 or 7 mail accounts will come up. Click on "Google". This will bring up Gmail. Re-enter your gmail information again. This worked for me. I found that there was an Archive icon at the top of my Mail settings and I wanted the Trash Can. So just go to Settings>Mail>Contacts and go to Advanced. Check "Trash" instead of "Archive".

Mail freezes on iPad Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.