Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older time capsule and new one

I know that having an older TC 'join' the wifi network created by a newer one will probably push down the speed of my wifi network. However, what will happen if I have both create their own wifi network (in difefrent rooms, by the way), using the same network name and security, but on different channels?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 6:00 AM

Then you will have the best possible performance for your network.

You did not mention this, but I assume that you know that both TCs will need to connect together using an Ethernet cable in order to do this.

7 replies

Feb 25, 2015 7:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

They are in fact currently connected together with a cable (partly through the powerline), so that should be fine. I do, however, also have an Airport Express that also creates its own wifi network (again with the same name etcetera). It is not connected with a cable to either of the TC's, but it is connected with a cable to the same router that the (newest) TC is also connected to. They appear to communicate fine (at least through the air), including Airplay. But I have been wondering whether it might be better to have everything physically connected to the same Airport station.

Feb 26, 2015 1:02 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, I've been thinking about that, too. Let me describe my current setup in a little more detail.

There's the main router (provided by my ISP) in the hallway - this is where the landline is plugged in, and where the phone signal gets separated from the internet, etcetera. From this main router, two ethernet cables run into my house. One goes to the Airport Express (which creates a wifi network), the other goes to the new Time Capsule (which creates the same wifi network, but on a different channel so as to prevent interference).

Then, from the Time Capsule, a cable runs into a power socket adapter. Upstairs (where the wifi signals from downstairs are too weak), there's another power socket adapter, from which a cable runs into the older Time Capsule. This effectively means that both TCs are connected to each other with an ethernet connection through the power socket. For simplicity's sake, I am thinking of having the older (upstairs) TC create the same wifi network again, but what I was worried about was the effect this might have on the speed of the downstairs network. But I understand from your previous reply this will *not* affect it - I suppose it would be different if I chose the 'extend' or 'join' options, because tghen the entire wifi network would 'adapt' to the slowest element in the network. Right?

What I have been wondering about, is whether it might also be an option to use the older TC as a router for my entire network - so to have the cable from my ISP router run into the older TC and then have the TC 'divide' all of the internet connections to the rest of the house. What I'm not sure about, however, is how this would affect my connection speed - even though I would not be using the old TC's wifi option then (but its ethernet connections only), it is about 7 or 8 years old, and might still give me a slightly slower connection. Moreover, the current setup seems to work pretty well, so I'm not sure how much I would stand to gain.

Feb 26, 2015 4:42 AM in response to Onkelpazuzu

What I have been wondering about, is whether it might also be an option to use the older TC as a router for my entire network - so to have the cable from my ISP router run into the older TC and then have the TC 'divide' all of the internet connections to the rest of the house.

Since you already have an ISP router, the older TC could not be used as the router for your network.

You could connect wired devices to the TC if you want, but the TC would not improve....nor would it hurt....your Internet connection speed. The TC would act as a "pass through" device in that regard.

You would not really gain anything by using the older TC this way, other than picking up a few more Ethernet ports to use if you don't have enough connections at the present time in addition to having more hard drive storage space.

Feb 26, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Onkelpazuzu

Apparently it won't affect the speed downstairs and it will save me the trouble of having to choose another network every time I move upstairs and downstairs.

It won't affect the speed downstairs.

Macs generally do a nice job of automatically switching between wireless access points to pick up the best signal.....but iOS devices like the iPhone, and iPad, and other mobile devices generally will not do this.

In most cases, if you move an iPhone or iPad from upstairs to downstairs, or vice versa, the iOS device will not automatically switch to pick up the stronger signal from the closer wireless access point. You will find that you need to temporarily turn the WiFi off on the iOS device when it moves from one area to another, and the turn the wireless back on again and the iOS device will usually pick up the stronger signal from the closest access point.

Older time capsule and new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.