Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina iMace rebooted in the middle go the night!

Ive had the 5k, i7, 295x, 24GB, 500SSD for a week now. I had the wake from sleep crash a couple of days ago. last night I set it to "prevent computer from sleeping when display goes to sleep. At about 3 am the computer rebooted. I got the loud chime and screen lit up waking me up I went to library/logs/crash reporter and found this.

"Feb 25 03:01:00.234220 Richards-iMac.local discoveryd_helper[156]: Basic RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helperStarting XPC Server

Feb 25 03:01:00.234465 Richards-iMac.local discoveryd_helper[156]: Detailed RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helper XPC connection 0x7f86320001c0: start (pid=48, <unknown> not root)"

This is really frustrating on a computer of this price. Im sure Apple will tell me to reinstall the OS but Im not sure that will do any good and thats time consuming.

Ill start by unplugging the Lacie 2 TB Porche drive and see if the crashes stop. Next I will remove the Crucial 16GB ram but the hardware and meatiest say its ok.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 7:47 AM

13 replies

Feb 25, 2015 11:09 AM in response to babowa

I reset the SMC and PRAM. I removed the Crucial RAM and will let it run for a week or 2 to see if it crashes again. If it crashes with the Apple RAM I will remove it and try just the Crucial. I guess process of illumination is the way to go in this case. There appears to be some common issues lately with adding ram to the latest imacs so I have read. If all goes well I will try ordering the Kingston's instead and try them. Apple ram is way over priced. $400 for 16GB lol.

Feb 25, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Richard Spangler

Richard Spangler wrote:

I reset the SMC and PRAM. I removed the Crucial RAM and will let it run for a week or 2 to see if it crashes again. There appears to be some common issues lately with adding ram to the latest imacs. If all goes well I will try ordering the Kingston's instead and try them. Apple ram is way over priced. $400 for 16GB lol.

Instead of opting for Kingston, I strongly recommend contacting OWC (www.macsales.com) and getting the RAM from them. Kingston has a long history of creating problems with Macs, primarily they're "value" brands. Go with a trusted and proven vendor such as OWC, they also offer the best support in the business.

Apr 17, 2015 6:48 AM in response to Richard Spangler

I'm having sort of the same problem – iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7, 32 gb Apple RAM, AMD Radeon R9 - everything is right out of the box and only about a month old. Mine doesn't reboot, it just locks up and shuts itself down while I'm working. Every morning I have to start it back up because it has shut itself down even though the only thing it's been doing is sleeping. I've tweeked the energy settings, disconnected all external devices, switched from ethernet to wireless, and reinstalled OS X. Before I take it back to the Apple store I'm going to bite the bullet and do an erase and reinstall - such a pain though. This should be the best Mac that I've ever owned but it's not starting out that way.

Retina iMace rebooted in the middle go the night!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.