Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3gs battery damage pretty bad

I had this iPhone 3GS for a while, and I was mostly using it as an ipod at home. Couple days back I updated iOS on this phone ( I dont remember which version I upgraded it to), but all of a sudden the battery started bulging. Intially, I thought the something wrong with the case that I was using, and I took the case out. With in just an hour, I see that the screen popped out as the battery started swelling. I understood that the battery started exploding and to be safe side, I put that phone in balcony. After couple hours I see that the battery completely ruined the back casing, cracked plastic piece its attached to, popped the screen out.

I took this phone to apple store and they say that, I have to pay $149 to get a new locked ATT iphone 3GS and it need a new sim (apparently big sim which I dont have) to activate to use it as a ipod. So basically, I need to activcate this new device as a phone initially to get to home screen, and I need to pay $50 for the two sims that I need to get this phone working. The total cost to get this phone replaced and working is $149+$50=$199. This is stupid, I would rather spend $149 to get a new iOS updated refurbished iPod from apple website.

I am very glad that my daughter or my dad wasnt using this phone while it started exploding. I just thought I should share my story and pics here. See the pics. Apple should really take care of this battery issue, otherwise it can hurt people. I am just glad that my dad doesnt have this phone in his pocket when the battery started exploding. This is very dangerous.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 10:00 AM

There are no replies.

iPhone 3gs battery damage pretty bad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.