Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install iTunes 12.1.1 on Windows 7 (64 bit)

Hello. I've tried to do this about 10 times now and it's driving me crazy. The new iTunes update installed first time and works fine on my laptop (Win 7 home premium, 32 bit) but it absolutely refuses to work on my desktop (Win 7 home premium, 64 bit, quad core, 8gb RAM, ample hard drive space). I've been using iTunes for years and had no problems with the previous version.

The installation hangs 75% of the way through each attempt, with the message "Service 'Apple Mobile Device Service' failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services". I then get 3 options of abort, retry and ignore. If I retry it just keeps coming back to the same message. If I ignore then the installation completes but I then get the message "iTunesHelper was not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes. Error 7". Then, every time I restart my machine or try to launch iTunes I get the message "iTunes was not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes. Error 7 (Windows error 193)".

Here's what I've tried, in various combinations:

• ensured I have installed all windows updates
  • uninstalled all iTunes and related programmes in the order specified on the Apple support pages (via Control Panel and the executable file), restarted, removed all the associated folders and files (including all 32 and 64 bit versions) from the Program Files directory on my C drive (where the iTunes installation is located), verified that they are gone.
  • cleared cache and temporary internet files from my browser, emptied the recycle bin
  • uninstalled QuickTime
  • installed the executable iTunes package via "Run as administrator"
  • tried the "Repair" option from both Control Panel and via the executable file
  • unpacked the Apple Mobile Device Service separately and installed separately

And nothing makes any difference to the result. I can't help but think there that is some kind of incompatibility between the latest version of A.M.D.S. and the latest version of Windows 7 64 bit. I'm not interested in whether it's Apple's or Microsoft's fault but I would like a solution, even if that solution is reinstalling an older version of iTunes. I hope you can help.

iPod classic (120 GB), Windows 7

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 11:57 AM

A bit of repetition, mainly for the benefit of anyone else with the same issue. In your case the "for older video cards" version might be worth a try.

When cleaning folders you need to check both the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders, which you may well have done but didn't mention in the detail above.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The section Install missing components has advice on breaking down the iTunes installer into the individual .msi files which might prove useful if Apple Mobile Device Support won't install normally.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try theiTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues or compatibility with third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2015 11:57 AM in response to teajaysea

A bit of repetition, mainly for the benefit of anyone else with the same issue. In your case the "for older video cards" version might be worth a try.

When cleaning folders you need to check both the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders, which you may well have done but didn't mention in the detail above.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The section Install missing components has advice on breaking down the iTunes installer into the individual .msi files which might prove useful if Apple Mobile Device Support won't install normally.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try theiTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues or compatibility with third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Feb 26, 2015 4:54 PM in response to turingtest2

Turingtest2,

thank you for the information. I tried the steps for the total removal of iTunes as listed in step 1 of your article and still have the same problem. I looked at step 2 and it looks like I will have to do this but do not understand how it works.

I understand that I would download the 7 file archiver but I do not know how it works to remove the app mobile device support section from the installer and how to install the section separately.

Could you provide me with the steps I need to take or direct me to an article that covers this?

Thank you

Feb 26, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Munch00

The steps in the second box are a removal guide.

The notes below explain how to remove components that won't uninstall.

7-Zip can be used to break down the setup file into constituent parts.

You can try installing these parts in order.

Or, having removed everything again, and if you have 64-bit Windows, you can try the "for older video cards" version. This may well work in cases where the normal 64-bit installer goes wrong. This version is similar to the 64-bit versions up to and including 12.0 which are 64-bit installers for mainly 32-bit code.

tt2

Cannot install iTunes 12.1.1 on Windows 7 (64 bit)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.