Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an iPad that is equipped with WiFi + Cellular receive Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA)?

My mother purchased "the new" iPad when it was released in 2013 at our local Apple Retail Store. She purchased a 32GB Black iPad that was equipped with the WiFi + Cellular data chipset, and she currently pays for a data package through Verizon Wireless to have cellular data activated on her iPad.

I was wondering if her iPad could receive Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) in the event of an emergency where FEMA, National Weather Service, or the President issues an emergency alert, just like our iPhones do, but am not entirely sure because I'm certain that WEA's are apart of some kind of cell broadcasting service, and I am not sure if the iPad is equipped with the technology to receive Wireless Emergency Alerts in the event of an emergency.

I have not really poked around in her iPad's settings much, (specifically the notifications section).

If it is, that's fantastic! If not, that's okay, but I hope that someday this feature could be added to the cellular data iPads!

iPad, iOS 8.1.3, Verizon Wireless

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 10:49 AM

There are no replies.

Can an iPad that is equipped with WiFi + Cellular receive Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.