Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF Documents Won't Download

When I click on a PDF document, the web site opens up a new tab and puts the PDF in the new tab. From there, I can scroll the PDF and zoom in and out of the PDF.

However, Download or View in Preview icons (located bottom center of the page) nothing happens. The file does not download, nor will it open in preview.

I checked the Internet Plug-ins folder and did see AdobePDF reader was installed, so I uninstalled those. But I still have the problem.

Any suggestions to fix this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

8.0.3 - Safari

10.10.2 - Yosemite

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 11:02 AM

15 replies

Feb 27, 2015 7:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

The site I'm having the issue with requires a login. It's a site I've been downloading pdf's for quite a while, which has not had a problem in the past. But I can't recall what has changed that might have trigger this issue, if in fact it's an issue on my end.

I will post back if I can come across a site that has the issue, but does not require a login.

Thanks for your help up to this point.

Mar 2, 2015 9:48 AM in response to notcloudy

I'm not sure I know how to verify they are PDFs.

In Safari, they look like other PDFs. (as in, not a web page) Safari brings up the icons (which auto hide/appear) at the bottom of the window allowing you to Zoom in/out, Open in Preview and Download. So Safari thinks they are. The site that I'm getting them from, states that they are. This used to work in Safari, from the exact same sites I'm now having the issue with.

I can Export as PDF ... in Safari. Which is my current workaround. But this isn't a great option, since it won't auto increments the file name, as Safari would normally do when you click the Download icon when viewing the PDF.

Mar 3, 2015 5:12 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

1 Open Loop wrote:

I'm not sure I know how to verify they are PDFs.

Right click and save as - shows me the file name and location it is being saved to.

In Safari and now in Opera I disabled all plug ins - and have not had a problem saving PDF. I generally don't open PDF's as I wind up saving them anyway.

It may be specific to the systems the sites you are using use -- packaged software set up for certain security checks.

Mar 3, 2015 6:24 AM in response to notcloudy

Right click does not have an option for Save As ...

It has Open with Preview, which does not work.

The other PDF options do work. I can view the document as Single Page or Two Pages. So it appears that Safari thinks it's a PDF. But for some reason, I cannot Download or Open in Preview as I can from other sites. The sites I'm having issues with are Bank/Financial sites.

User uploaded file

Mar 3, 2015 9:53 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

1 Open Loop wrote:

The sites I'm having issues with are Bank/Financial sites.

You may be having trouble with multiple bank/financial sites because the are using they same Bank/Financial software package and have either installed a fix or a complete upgrade.

If the document is in reference to your account - then it may be a formatted printout displayed on line that you can then save to PDF.

You would have to contact one of the institutions to see if they upgraded and why have the options changed.

Mar 9, 2015 5:58 PM in response to 1 Open Loop

Just an FYI -- I was downloading pdf's from a site - by right clicking and saving to a folder. the Site said must have Adobe - all of them downloaded - but one would not open - had an error message. Noticed it was not the same size as the site said the download was - so tried opening it on site - instead of opening it immediately popped up as download - so I downloaded it that way and the file was fine.

PDF Documents Won't Download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.