Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Main screen and dock move to second display

Hi all,

although i found many replies regarding to how to get the dock to the desired screen i face the following problem.

I am a vj/dj using serato dj, mix emergency and madmapper. Whenever i connect a second display to my macbook (macbook pro early 2013 retina, now on OS 10.9) the main screen and dock is transferred to that second display (e.g. projector). These softwares need to run to the main screen only, and this should be my laptop's screen.

Even if i get the dock back to my macbook display, these softwares recognise as MAIN display the external one and not my macbook pro's display.

I am facing this problem since my OS upgrade to 10.9 from 10.8!

Can i do something to my macbook so as to always recognise its own display as the main display? Does this problem exist on Yosemite as well?

Can i downgrade to 10.8 if all the rest fail?

Regards

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 11:11 AM

Hi konstadinos.k,

I understand you want your MacBook Pro to be the default display for your DJ software when you have a second display connected to it. Take a look at the article below that explains all of the options for extending or mirroring your displays. I've highlighted some key information below that may be helpful in your situation. Even though the article is for Mavericks, the info should still be applicable.

OS X: Using multiple displays in Mavericks - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202780

You can also assign an app to a specific display space from the app's menu in the Dock. Windows assigned to a space always open there when the display you specified is connected.

User uploaded file

The blue boxes in Displays preferences represent each display that's connected. The size of each box is relative to the current resolution of each display. In this example, the smaller box on the left is the display of a 13" MacBook Pro while the larger box on the right represents the Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display.

User uploaded file

Drag any of the blue boxes to change the location of a display in relation to your additional screens. You can use this feature to make sure your connected displays match their real world location when navigating windows. The white bar at the top of the blue box represents the menu bar. Drag the white bar onto the blue box representing the display you want as your primary display.

Hope that helps ...

- Judy

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2015 11:11 AM in response to konstadinos.k

Hi konstadinos.k,

I understand you want your MacBook Pro to be the default display for your DJ software when you have a second display connected to it. Take a look at the article below that explains all of the options for extending or mirroring your displays. I've highlighted some key information below that may be helpful in your situation. Even though the article is for Mavericks, the info should still be applicable.

OS X: Using multiple displays in Mavericks - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202780

You can also assign an app to a specific display space from the app's menu in the Dock. Windows assigned to a space always open there when the display you specified is connected.

User uploaded file

The blue boxes in Displays preferences represent each display that's connected. The size of each box is relative to the current resolution of each display. In this example, the smaller box on the left is the display of a 13" MacBook Pro while the larger box on the right represents the Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display.

User uploaded file

Drag any of the blue boxes to change the location of a display in relation to your additional screens. You can use this feature to make sure your connected displays match their real world location when navigating windows. The white bar at the top of the blue box represents the menu bar. Drag the white bar onto the blue box representing the display you want as your primary display.

Hope that helps ...

- Judy

Main screen and dock move to second display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.