Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mkv and srt thumbnail icons changed to exec black boxes

Hello, I have recently upgraded to Yosemite after being a Snow Leopard user for 5 years.

After the change, all my mkv and srt files no longer show the vlc and textedit icons respectively as thumbnails, but have changed to a black exec icon instead. Obviously I use vlc, as my main playback program and have set all similar extension files to play with it. User uploaded file

For further assistance I also took a Get Info screenshot. My mac is set to Greek and I have no idea how to change it, so please bear with the Greek alphabet letters. I think the important information is pretty easy to grasp from the shots.

User uploaded file

Is there any way to make the thumbnail icons show correctly?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 10:48 AM

10 replies

Feb 25, 2015 10:52 AM in response to vslslzrds

Long shot. Do a backup.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

You can change languages in System Preferences/Language &Region.

Mkv and srt thumbnail icons changed to exec black boxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.