Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does an album I downloaded not play? It states that it can not be found, iTunes store tells me I've purchased it but it doesn't appear in my purchases?

I bought a new album in iTunes a couple of weeks ago, it plays on iPad but on my mac in iTunes it says that it can not be found. In the iTunes store when i select it again it tells me i have purchased it but in the purchases section its not there.n HELP!

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 10:51 AM

6 replies

Feb 26, 2015 11:22 AM in response to 1968ay

Hello, 1968ay.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you are unable to play media that you downloaded from the iTunes Store. This error usually means that the media is not located in the original location for iTunes to read this file. The easiest way to solve this would be to delete the problematic media and download it again via the two articles below.

How to delete content you've downloaded from the iTunes Store

Download past purchases

Cheers,

Jason H.

Feb 26, 2015 12:36 PM in response to 1968ay

Thanks Jason269 sadly this didn't work.

Bit more explanation I bought American Beauty - Fall out Boy on my iPhone and it plays happily.

On my Mac iTunes store when you look for the Fall out Boy American Beauty album it tells me "Purchased" but when I go to itunes store quick links/purchased it doesn't appear in there at all.

However in my iTunes library the album and tracks are listed but have an exclamation ⚠ mark next to them. When clicked on the track tells me that The song “Irresistable” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it? I try to locate it but it is not to be found in my iTunes media folder or anywhere on the mac!

This is the same with all the tracks from this album. Its driving me nuts because I am sure there is a simple answer. (and yes I have synced the two together 🙂)

Thanks

Feb 26, 2015 1:05 PM in response to 1968ay

Delete any remaining broken links to these tracks from your library.

Do not hide from iTunes in the cloud if prompted.

Close iTunes.

Reopen.

Depending on your settings you may now see cloud links from which the tracks can be streamed or downloaded

or

Check under Music > iTunes Store > Quick Links > Purchased > Music > Not on this computer

or

Connect your device and use iTunes > Devices > Transfer purchases from device.

tt2

Feb 26, 2015 1:25 PM in response to 1968ay

1968ay,

Thanks for the follow up information. That is odd that the album is not showing in the past purchases. If turingtest2's suggestions do not resolve the issue, I would check to see what Apple ID was used to make the purchase of that album. You can either control+click or right click on one of the songs in that album, Get Info and check the Purchased By account under the File Tab. If it was purchased with another account, just sign into that one and download the album.

Let me know if none of the solutions helped.

-Jason H.

Feb 26, 2015 1:35 PM in response to 1968ay

Thank you for your help! You reminded me of the bloody cloud - put two and two together and sure enough there it was I'd hidden it on the cloud (not sure why? Don't remember doing it!) so one quick click on unhide and its now playing on the phone, pad and mac 🙂

It took me a while to remember how to get to the cloud in iTunes but done it know. Thanks very much. Now just trying to work out why I have 537 songs on my iPhone 5 when I have sync'ed it to zero. Ah well another evening spent listening to tunes while I work it out.

Thanks again.

Why does an album I downloaded not play? It states that it can not be found, iTunes store tells me I've purchased it but it doesn't appear in my purchases?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.