Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Everything working but contacts on OS X Server

I have completed the evolutionary upgrade of my Yosemite Server to offer pretty much all services...caching, calendar, contacts, file sharing, mail, time machine, vpn.

Everything works except for Contacts on my Yosemite clients. I have tried 3 different machines and can only get contacts to work if I delete the OS X server out of the Internet Accounts and put in an account for Contacts only. I cannot figure out how to have an OS X server account with an additional contacts account, which doesn't make sense anyway. I have disabled/enabled the account through Contacts preferences with no luck. I know the contacts are in there because they work on my iPhone 5s and will work on Yosemite clients if I do not use the OS X server account. Mail, calendar, notes, reminders, file sharing all work fine.

Not sure if this is a server or client side problem since it work on my iPhone. I have nearly everything removed from iCloud except for Contacts.

Mac Pro, OS X Server, 2.66 quad core xeon 18gb

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 11:17 AM

6 replies

Mar 18, 2015 6:47 AM in response to MacSkoog

Bump.....

I still cannot get Contacts to reliably work.

I see no correlation to the problem. Sometimes a user works just fine when the Server account is added through Internet Accounts. Other times, everything works except for Contacts. Therefore, I know I am getting username and passwords correct. Even on different machines I will sometime get Contacts to work for one user, but on the next machine Contacts will not work.

On one machine in particular, Contacts was working on a user account, but because of other problems I had to delete the user account and recreate it. After that, Contacts would not work at all with the Server!#$!@# Same machine and same user account that was working.

Just not getting it. All machines are Yosemite as is the Server.

Could really use some direction on this.....thanks.

Apr 6, 2015 4:00 PM in response to macmartin

Would you mind elaborating a little bit. Not sure I am following you. I am not really wanting any shared address book. I just want my individual network users to have their contact list on the OS X so that all of their devices can access. I also do not use Profile Manager and really not sure of why/how I would use it in my situation.

I am, for all practical purposes, just setting up my own iCloud replacement (in which that logic could certainly be argued)

Thanks for your continued suggestions.

May 26, 2015 10:34 AM in response to MacSkoog

Similar issues here.

Mavericks had serious issues when using the "Add OS X Server" account (confirmed by Apple) and services had to be added separately (Add CardDav account for contacts, add CalDav for calendar and reminders, Add Mail for Notes etc.).

It all seems to work a little better in Yosemite but results are very unpredictable. It might work one time, completely fail the next time or work only to break after a restart.

Now when I use the "Add OS X Server" in internet accounts it all works smoothly except contacts. In the Contacts app I see the server but I can not add contacts to it, it's read-only. When I disable Contacts in the account and add it separately with a CardDav, the client loses it's marbles and both accounts start acting very strange.

Have yet to figure this one out but It sure looks like Apple did not fix the Mavericks issues completely.

Everything working but contacts on OS X Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.