Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The screen is black wont do anything.

I went to turn on my macbook air but then the screen went black. It won't do anything. I plugged it in to the charger but nothing happened. It is getting very hot. The apple in the back is also on but nothing is happening. Last time I used it I was just watching netflix and after I finished I turned it off. But the other days I did the same thing but I didn't turn it off I just closed it and left it like that and no problem had occurred. Today when this all happened abour half an hour later it cooled down but nothing is happening yet. I think I have the latest update but im not sure. I pressed on every single button there is and nothing is happening. I haven't tried anything yet except for the charger which did nothing. Please help.

MacBook Air, themcursor won't appear.

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 12:11 PM

9 replies

Feb 25, 2015 5:23 PM in response to Yahalemeran

Hi. When it goes orange, it means it's charging the battery.Did you have it unplugged from the power cord when this first happened? Running on battery only? Let it stay plugged in for a little while. Then I want you to try something that worked for someone else. Next time you try to start it. Hold down Command/Option/Shift Keys and power button for 10 seconds. Then without letting up on the power button, hold down Command/R. This sometime will get it to turn on and go to the recovery screen where you can use disk utilities to check the drive. Or if no problems found, go back and reinstall The operating system. To see if it is on but not going to screen ,you can close the lid and see if the light on the front comes on. If it does then open lid and tap on the space bar and also try toggling the F 2 key When you did the command/option/p/r at startup you should have heard a chime sound. Did you?

Feb 26, 2015 2:56 AM in response to my ginger

Everything I try to do with the commands that you sent to me it just turns off. When I turn it on it makes the sound that it always does as if it were to do normally but the black screen appears. I know that the computer turns off when I do the commands because the light on the back is off but when the black screen is there the light is on. Once again the chime never occurred the computer just turned off. I did leave it unplugged before it had happened. I left it charging overnight and same results.

Feb 26, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Yahalemeran

Hi. The chime sound is at startup,unless you have it on mute. The F 12 key is volume up. You may have a display problem. do you have the thunderbolt to hdmi cable that came with your computer and an external monitor or TV with hdmi? Sometimes if it is the backlight for the internal display, you can by holding a light to it make out the screen and see whats on it.

The screen is black wont do anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.