Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule WAN port problem

Time Capsule (model no. A1409) connected to DSL modem (not router) via ethernet worked fine for a year or so. Now TC thinks ethernet cable to WAN port is unplugged. Every 20 (+/-5) seconds the connection restores for one second, then claims to be not connected to modem for another 20 seconds. Different ethernet cables have same results. DSL modem works just fine when ethernet connected direct to my MacBook Pro running Maverick version 10.9.5

Time Capsule-OTHER, Model No A1409

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 2:25 PM

2 replies

Feb 25, 2015 6:02 PM in response to GrowFamily

Unfortunately, Apple removed the ability to manually optimize WAN port settings when they introduced the AirPort Utility 6.x versions a few years ago.

If you might happen to have....or be able to borrow for an hour or two.....a Mac running the Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x) operating system, or a PC that has AirPort Utility installed on the device, there are some settings on the 5.x versions of AirPort Utility that might help your situation.

Otherwise, you could try inserting an Ethernet switch between the modem and the WAN port of the Time Capsule to see if that helps with the Ethernet negotiation issues. The thinking here is that the switch may do this better than the WAN port on the Time Capsule.

After that, the only other real option at this point.....which may or may not help.....would be to reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings and then set it up again.

Feb 26, 2015 1:13 AM in response to GrowFamily

I have found PPPOE unreliable on my Apple routers with DSL modems.. and only the apple router failed.. every other router or a computer was fine.. so there is definitely bugs.

The 7.6.4 firmware I think is worse than the one that went before it.

I recommend you factory reset the TC.. and downgrade it to 7.6.1.. have another go.

Downgrade by holding the option key while you click the version number on the summary screen.

User uploaded file

time capsule WAN port problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.