Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to access Software Update

I have a 2012 Mac Pro (MacPro5,1) running OS X 10.8.5. I have been trying to access Software Update from this machine for the last 5 hours and I get the following error message:

User uploaded file

I also have 2011 iMac (iMac12,2) running the exact same software and I have been able to access Software Update with no problems.

Any ideas?

Dennis

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 1:01 PM

3 replies

Feb 25, 2015 5:42 PM in response to Dennis Kulpa

Please test after taking each of the following steps.

Step 1

Log out or restart the computer.

Step 2

Check that Spotlight is working. You should be able to find your apps by searching for them by name. If you can't, rebuild the Spotlight index. If you intentionally disabled Spotlight by hacking the system, undo the hack. Spotlight must be functioning if you want to use the App Store.

Step 3

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.storeagent.plist

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Trash. Log out, log back in, and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combinationcommand-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Feb 25, 2015 7:27 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc for the follow-up but my problem was (apparently) much more severe. Shortly after I posted this question, my system started to act up, very slow response to commands. So I did a reboot but the computer would not come back up - all I had was a grey screen with the Apple in the middle. I tried booting from a backup/clone but the machine still would't start. I had to use an external drive with a clone from another Mac to finally bring things up. Long story short, spent a lot of time trying different things with no success so I had to wipe the drive and re-load the system. I've got all of the basics done now and it appears to be operating properly, just need a few more hours to get my Apps installed and - HOPEFULLY - everything will be fine.

Dennis

Mar 21, 2015 6:00 AM in response to Linc Davis

So I'm having the same problem today, I can't access Software Update from my Mac Pro but I can get there from my iMac. Fortunately, my computer hasn't crashed so I've taken the steps that you recommend to verify that Spotlight works and to trash the plist to rebuild a new one but I still cannot access the Update site - and I just did it about 2-3 days ago. Any more ideas???

Dennis

Unable to access Software Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.