Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update to OSX Snow Leopard - CD drive not working

Ok so I purchased Snow Leopard to upgrade my 09 Macbook with Intel Processor. However, my disk drive is not reading disks for some reason so it wont read the disk or any other. I've tried downloading the file and running it, but it tells me that I have to do it from a disk. I can't seem to find a workaround to not having a disk, yet my computer won't read any.

Is there anything I can do or should I shell out the cash for my disk drive to get repaired? Any help would be much appreciated!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), null

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 12:53 PM

2 replies

Feb 25, 2015 9:05 PM in response to LegendaryTShell

If you have access to another computer you can make an ISO/Disc Image using Disk Utility and transfer that to your computer using a portable drive or storage device with large enough capacity. Once that Disc Image is copied to your Desktop you click on it and it behaves exactly like it is a DVD in your drive. It appears in Finder like a hard drive or a DVD. OS X will respond to it accordingly. I have installed huge multiple disc programs in what seems like 10% of the time because DVD drives are relatively slow compared to something immediately accessible on your system drive. When you would have to eject and insert the next disc the Installer automatically sees the next Disc Image (when you have a series of installation discs) so it can all be performed in a single uninterrupted process.

Can't update to OSX Snow Leopard - CD drive not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.