Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot send mail to Yosemite Server

I have Yosemite Server on a Mac Mini Server.

I cannot receive mail to the Server. ( i.e. they are sent back to the sender ) Here is an example of the error.

<appletest@example.com>: Host or domain name not found. Name

service error for name=example.com type=AAAA: Host found but

no data record of requested type

Reporting-MTA: dns; svr1.example.com

X-Postfix-Queue-ID: E553639C4621

X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; someguy@mac.com

Arrival-Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 13:44:35 -0600 (CST)

Any ideas???

Best Regards,

Neil

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Mac mini server

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 2:53 PM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2015 12:10 PM in response to neilfromokauchee

Could be the DNS as Lync Davis writes but to elaborate somewhat:

It's not enough to have the DNS in the server itself. At a standard setup that will only be used by the server to find itself. Senders must also be able to look up the mail server's full domain name which means that you must have those records in a public DNS server so that clients sending mail can look up the server. Local clients might get settings via DHCP to use it as DNS server and if it's accessible from Internet on port 53 it could be used as a public DNS server (set in the settings for you domain at the registrar, by them or yourself).

Cannot send mail to Yosemite Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.