Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting Up Messaging for My Child

My child's iPod Touch is set up using my Apple ID. I want her to be able to text / message. If I turn on Message on her device she can see all my texts, which I don't want. But if I set her up with her own Apple ID, she'll lose all the apps I've bought her with that ID, correct? So how do I give her Message without a separate Apple ID? Or am I completely not understanding how this all works?

Thanks!

iPod touch, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 2:11 AM

Two options:

MacMost Now 653: Setting Up Multiple iOS Devices For Messages and FaceTime

or

Create a NEW account/ID using these instructions. Make sure you follow the instructions. Many do not and if you do not you will not get the None option. You must use an email address that you have not used with Apple before. Make sure you specify a birthdate that results in being at least 13 years old

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

More details of how:

http://ipadhelp.com/ipad-help-tips-tricks/how-to-get-free-apps-from-the-app-stor e-without-a-credit-card/

Use the new ID on her iPod but only for:

Settings>Messages>Send and Receive

Settings>FaceTime

Settings>GameCenter

and Settings>iCloud if you want her to have separate Contacts Calendar and some other things.

Continue to use the same/common Apple ID for Settings>iTunes and App stores so you can share purchases.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2015 2:11 AM in response to christianfromhuntington

Two options:

MacMost Now 653: Setting Up Multiple iOS Devices For Messages and FaceTime

or

Create a NEW account/ID using these instructions. Make sure you follow the instructions. Many do not and if you do not you will not get the None option. You must use an email address that you have not used with Apple before. Make sure you specify a birthdate that results in being at least 13 years old

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

More details of how:

http://ipadhelp.com/ipad-help-tips-tricks/how-to-get-free-apps-from-the-app-stor e-without-a-credit-card/

Use the new ID on her iPod but only for:

Settings>Messages>Send and Receive

Settings>FaceTime

Settings>GameCenter

and Settings>iCloud if you want her to have separate Contacts Calendar and some other things.

Continue to use the same/common Apple ID for Settings>iTunes and App stores so you can share purchases.

Setting Up Messaging for My Child

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.