Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I open iTunes I receive the error message: iTunes has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working. Please close the program. When I plug in my iPhone it opens.

I am on a Dell PC with Windows 7 using Google Chrome and my iPhone is a 5c. I have moved my iTunes folder to an external hard drive. I have already reinstalled iTunes. Phone is iOS 8.1.3

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 5:40 PM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2015 6:50 AM in response to danceskiflyfishfamily

Howdy danceskiflyfishfamily,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

If iTunes is unexpectedly quitting when you launch it on your Windows 7 PC, then I'd like you to please follow the directions in the article below.

iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Feb 27, 2015 7:37 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi Alex - thank you for the reply. I attempted to open iTunes using Shift-Control and did not receive the Safe Mode notice. I did receive a pop up that asked if I wanted iTunes to make the following changes to my computer. If I reply Yes, the program opens and immediately shuts down. If I click No, the program does not open. In addition, I had recently moved my iTunes catalog to an external drive but did not connect the two events as I do not recall if the problem started at that time.

When I open iTunes I receive the error message: iTunes has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working. Please close the program. When I plug in my iPhone it opens.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.