Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hyperlinking to other files on same USB?

Hi all,

I'm working on an E-Portfolio for nursing school, which must include an explanation of how certain projects meet certain requirements, and a link to said project (which is stored in a different folder on the same USB).

So the desired effect is:

Professor/potential employer plugs in USB containing main document and all projects I've ever done.

Professor/potential employer reads through main document, sees something about a certain project (i.e. Pharmacology Pamphlet), with a link.

Professor/potential employer clicks on link.

PDF of project opens up for professor/potential employer to look at.

NOTE: Must be contained within the same USB, since it needs to be able to work on any computer. (I would ultimately export the main document as a word doc.)

The question is: how on EARTH do I hyperlink text in the main document to the file path of the other documents? First of all, it seems the "hyperlink" section of the inspector no longer exists in version 5.5.2. When I right click on some text, I can click on "Add link," but it only lets me link to a webpage or to an email. I tried to replace the webpage URL with the file path, to no avail. It stinks that I know I can easily do this in MS Word.

From what I've been able to find, this probably isn't going to work out, and I'm going to have to use a Windows computer...but I thought I'd ask anyway, and hopefully Apple will get their act together and incorporate this into their next update.

Thank you!

Using: Pages version 5.5.2

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 3:43 PM

6 replies

Feb 25, 2015 4:35 PM in response to badwolfgirl25

For a start a Pages file will be useless to most people. Even those who have a Mac probably won't have a compatible combination of Pages + OS X.

The only viable method is to create a pdf and add the links to the associated files in Adobe Acrobat Pro or an equivalent PDF editor. That works extremely well and consistently across all platforms on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Peter

Feb 26, 2015 7:43 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I realize that Pages will be useless. That's why I specifically said that I will ultimately be exporting as a Word file (.docx). That way I can keep the formatting, and it will still be able to be opened by most people.

I know using Adobe Pro would make more sense. Trust me, if I had it, I would be using it...but I don't. So short of that...any ideas?

Feb 26, 2015 11:15 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I know what the program is called and what it does and has; I've used extensively from working in corporate offices. I just wanted to find out if there was something I was missing trying to hyperlink to other files using Pages, so please spare me the lecture on using the "correct" program. I'm glad you have the "real thing"; I don't have Adobe Acrobat Pro, and I'm not exactly interested in purchasing it at the moment (I am a college student, after all).

Clearly, you're not interested in helping me, so I guess it's safe to assume you're not going to answer my original question.

Thank you

Feb 26, 2015 2:32 PM in response to badwolfgirl25

This may get you further along.

Export the work that you have done in Pages v5.5.2 to Word .docx format onto the USB stick.

Open that Word document in the latest, free LibreOffice. Select the content that you want to point at your individual project files in the specific USB folder location.

1. Two-finger tap (or control-right-click) on the text selection, and from the contextual menu, choose Character…
    1. A panel will appear that allows you to Browse for the specific project file
    2. Pick a Target Frame from as _Top. When the link is clicked, the PDF viewer will open a new window over any existing PDF viewer window.
    3. Set the Visited Links Character style to Visited Internet Link
    4. Set the Unvisited Links style to Internet Link
    5. Click on the Font Effects tab
      1. Underlining is set to Single.
      2. Underline Color is your Unvisited Link Color. Set it to Blue 2, 3, or 4.
      3. Click Ok. This hyperlink is done.
  2. Repeat process 1 for all of your document links to Projects.
  3. One must do a command+click to activate the Word document hyperlinks from within LibreOffice. A hyperlink rollover will report this.
  4. Save your Word .docx document. Notice how much smaller it is than when Pages exported it. Lol.
  5. Click the PDF icon in the LibreOffice Toolbar. It used to be red/white and obvious. It is just left of the first printer icon.
  6. Your document hyperlinks survive in the PDF.

PDF link rollover.

User uploaded file

Feb 26, 2015 5:27 PM in response to badwolfgirl25

We get a lot of users who come in here with very hazy ideas of what is what, and many others read these posts as well, so we are pedantic so everybody knows what is being talked about.

I am not lecturing you I am simply correcting you where necessary.

You don't have to get Adobe Acrobat Pro, look for the clones that I mentioned.

Acrobat Pro is however still the most powerful and full featured app for the task, particularly for this detailed editing if that is what you need. I haven't tested all the clones, there are several so can't vouch for what they do or if they cover your needs.

As a student you are entitled to very cheap versions of all Adobe's software so I doubt it is not a possibility.

Viking has suggested LibreOffice will create and make the links. Which is fine if that works, but you also need LibreOffice to create the content you want, it is not just the links that are important. Using Pages to create the content and Acrobat Pro or a PDF clone to manage the links will cover all bases.

I am really curious however that you mention you have used Pages ('09?) where this worked.

So why aren't you continuing using it?

Peter

Hyperlinking to other files on same USB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.