Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer of iTunes Library from PC to MAC -Locked Library.itl file

I have my iTunes library stored on a WD 1TB drive and have my PC accessing that drive for my iTunes library. I just bought a Macbook Pro and when I try to access the library I get a message as follows: The iTunes library.itl file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file. I do not have the external disk password password protected. I did follow the transfer instructions and get blocked on the last step where you have to select the path to the library where i can select the Library.itl file then get the error message. Suggestions?

JG

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 250GB Flash Storage

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 5:37 PM

13 replies

Feb 25, 2015 6:10 PM in response to J Gillett

The issue is the formatting of your external drive, it is likely NTFS. A Mac can read from an NTFS-formatted drive, but not write to it (unless you have 3rd party software for the Mac). Even if you want your Mac's iTunes just to open the library file, iTunes will expect to be able to have write-access so when it doesn't you'll get a message like this.

Is your intention to have both computers able to access your iTunes library on this external drive? That may not be possible, or if it is it may not be reliable even if you sort out the disk formatting issue.

Feb 25, 2015 6:34 PM in response to J Gillett

Ahh OK that's good (and welcome to the world of Macs!) Don't try to open the iTunes library on the external drive from your Mac, instead you need to move it to the Mac, but there are very specific instructions that must be carefully followed.

I made the conversion over a year ago and migrated my library from PC to Mac and followed this tutorial (see "Moving Between Operating Systems" about 1/3 the way down). This is a very comprehensive tutorial, and covers all you'd need to know.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to -a-new-hard-drive

Another article which is more specific to PC-to-Mac conversion can be found here, though it is a few years old but still seems relevant:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1146958/move_itunes_windows_mac.html

Feb 25, 2015 7:39 PM in response to J Gillett

In order to format the external for Macs you will have to erase it.

Windows cannot write to Mac formatted drives.

If you are at a point where the external contains the only copy of items you really need to buy yet another drive to serve as a backup for both the internal and iTunes external drives. You can temporarily park your library on the new external while you reformat the old one.

Feb 25, 2015 9:10 PM in response to J Gillett

J Gillett wrote:

One approach i was thinking might work is to format the WD drive as mac readable then dump the iTunes Library file on it again and see if iTunes can pick it up.

In order to do this, the external drive needs to be formatted as FAT32 or exFAT (preferred) so that both Windows and Mac can write to it. Of course, since you'd be formatting the external drive, you need to move the drives contents to somewhere on your PC first, then move them back after reformatting. FAT vs. exFAT have some differences, but generally exFAT's

But Limnos has an excellent point -- if you only have one external drive, you really need a 2nd one to serve as your backup (for the Mac's internal drive, and your external drive). Drives are relatively inexpensive these days, invest in one.

Feb 26, 2015 5:36 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

There is no need to use FAT format if, as you said earlier, you are not using this drive with both computers. FAT might work but it has limitations such as Mac utilities not being able to repair the drive structure if issues should arise. I have not seen anybody report using FAT for the long-term storage of a major iTunes library.

Feb 26, 2015 6:26 AM in response to J Gillett

Try Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows.

Ignore that, I read it going from Mac to PC. If you want to use the library with your Mac get an NTFS write driver, or copy the library to a FAT32 formatted drive, or use a network to transfer the library folder from the PC onto a HFS+ formatted drive connected to the Mac. The first option may give you the most flexibility.

See also Make a split library portable in case your library isn't already in the right shape to move easily between systems. The first time you open the library after switching the OS it will take some time to convert the library, but after that it should open normally.

tt2

Feb 26, 2015 6:36 AM in response to turingtest2

Since the OP said earlier the OP only intends to use this with a Mac in future it would likely be best if the drive was Mac formatted. I believe NTFS drivers cost money and still leave the issue of Mac utilities not being usable should the drive have problems in the future (the same applies to a FAT formatted drive).

Yes on the HFS+ (= "Mac") drive which is basically what I was suggesting earlier since currently it seems the OP does not have a second drive. 🙂 Buy a second drive. Format it HFS+. Copy the library to the drive. Reformat the old NTFS drive to HFS+. Decide which is the better drive for general backup and make that the backup drive and use the other for daily iTunes use. It may involve a couple of transfers if the old NTFS turns out to be the the best for iTunes.

Transfer of iTunes Library from PC to MAC -Locked Library.itl file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.