Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

60W Magsafe horrible charger

My 60W Magsafe charger burned at the point of contact with my Macbook today. I just found out that there was a recall:

http://www.recall.emailmenow.com/2012/03/recall-apple-magsafe-power-adapter.html

Apple never informed me, and when I called I was told that the deadline to get a replacement expired.

I have a home office. I have to finish some very important reports. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to charge the battery temporarily until I get a replacement? I won't buy it from Apple at $79, it is very badly manufactured in China.

My battery is running out very quickly. HELP, PLEASE!

Thank you.

MAC OS X

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 4:16 PM

4 replies

Feb 25, 2015 6:00 PM in response to Chiquita81

The biggest problem with Apple's chargers, and many other notebook chargers is the small space necessary to do the job of a transformer without adding weight. As such technologies have had to become custom made by manufacturers for their computers. You can try some of the adapters mentioned on my FAQ*:

http://www.macmaps.com/frayguide.html

But honestly, finding a good deal on a well taken care of Apple charger is probably better. The problem is so many people allow the chargers to become frayed.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Feb 26, 2015 4:14 PM in response to Chiquita81

There is no temporary fix if your power adapter has failed. And what tends to happen if you buy a "cheap" replacement on ebay is that power adapter is a knockoff that is more hazardous and likely to fail than a genuine adapter. The only way to charge the battery is through the adapter OR to have a backup battery and external charger that you can swap the battery into when it's depleted.

Get a replacement power adapter from OWC (macsales.com). They often have them for a bit less than what Apple sells them for. Get two if your MacBook is your primary/only computer so you have a backup available.

For what it's worth, I've not had any issues with my power adapter fraying. My first one did rip in half, but I was traveling and I suspect something happened to it during the trip and my own carelessness caused that to happen. I purchased a replacement (the old T-style, like what is shown in that recall notice) and it's about 5 years old now and still fine. I purchased an L-style from OWC about 3 years ago and I haven't had any issues with it, either.

~Lyssa

Feb 27, 2015 8:11 AM in response to Lyssa

Apple is no longer the great company it was under Steve Jobs.

This charger and one more were recalled. It is appalling that Apple would rely on an email to advise consumers of the recall. I realize that they were not happy about replacing a part they sell for $79, but that's not my problem.

I intend to bring the charger to an Apple store and make them aware that the burned cable could have set my house on fire. I will demand that they replace it.

Thanks everyone!

60W Magsafe horrible charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.