Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Secondary 4K display for iMac 27inch

Will my iMac 27inch (late2012) support a 4K display? - Philips BDM4065UC/00 UHD 4k monitor. i.e. Can i plug this monitor into the thunderbolt port and it run at full resolution. It is for Video Editing. Also, can i plug in another display to the other thunderbolt port and run two external displays?

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 6:19 AM

Hello Saimurai,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you want to use a 4K display with a Mac, the Mac needs to fit the requirements below. Since your iMac is a late 2012 model, it does not support a 4K external display.

You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with these Mac computers.

• MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013 and later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 and later)
  • Mac mini (Late 2014)

Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with Mac computers - Apple Support

Have a great weekend,

Alex H.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 6:19 AM in response to Saimurai

Hello Saimurai,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you want to use a 4K display with a Mac, the Mac needs to fit the requirements below. Since your iMac is a late 2012 model, it does not support a 4K external display.

You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with these Mac computers.

• MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013 and later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 and later)
  • Mac mini (Late 2014)

Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with Mac computers - Apple Support

Have a great weekend,

Alex H.

Feb 27, 2015 5:22 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Yes thanks, just discovered that page today.

Tested the screens today. Mine will only output at 1080p which is ridiculous for a 40inch screen! Supposedly if i dont use a third party thunderbolt -> HDMI i may actually get native res from the iMac (1440) instead of just 1080p.

So im looking at upgrading now. Checking out the new 5K iMac, but also considering a second hand one just after the cutoff point e.g. iMac or Mac Pro Late 2013.

Cheers for your help!

Sai

Feb 28, 2015 1:47 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi!

Yes thanks, i had a refurb once before and it gave me nothing but trouble for 3 years until Apple eventually replaced it with this one, so what i saved in the purchase price i ended up paying for more so in travel back and forth, stress, fuel, loss of work! Most likely i just got a one off lemon and many other people's experiences have been fine with refurbs but for me the ratio of Macs i've bought is 5 (New Macs) to 1 (Refurb) so naturally the idea of buying a Refurbished computer for me makes me nervous! Especially when i dont know what was refurbished inside. My Mac had 7 major repairs, that's replacement of logic boards and motherboards and it still had the same issue that Apple could not find. It was kicking Hard Drives all the time for one, which is just unacceptable in my line of work. But it only ever happened when i was working at home, never in their test environment until eventually i managed to recreate the problem in front of their eyes.

If i was guaranteed that a refurb i was buying was only returned by the customer coz it had a scratch in it or needed a new display or something like that then i'd be more confident with it's guts being ok.

Secondary 4K display for iMac 27inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.