Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't reach bank web sites

I have a mystery that no one seems able to solve. I am running 10.9.5 on a 2013 MacBookAir. I have an Apple Express network that is also used by an 2011 iMac 21, also running 10.9.5. All software, including Safari, is up to date.

I have done banking on line for several years. About a month ago, I suddenly could not connect to my bank's web site home page, and thus not to the log-in portal. Neither could the iMac. However, both could log in to every other web site. First thought was that the bank site was down. I tried several times over the course of a couple of days, but no luck. I called the bank, which said their site was up.

Was the problem with my computer or my network? To find out, I took the MacBook to my office. There it could connect to the bank site, as could my office 2012 iMac 27. After searching around the bank site, I found a technical note detailing what plug-ins and other settings were required. I checked them all on the MacBook and the 27 to make sure they were the same, including updating Java to latest Mac version. I also updated the DNS server list to make sure the MacBook was running the same as the 27 (OpenDNS).

I brought the Air back home, same lack of connection. I poked around in the wireless network list and found an unsecured network in the neighborhood. I switched to that and was able to connect; ditto with the iMac. When I switched back to my own network, no connection. I called the bank's technical support line, but IT doesn't talk to bank customers.

Everything pointed to something being wrong in my network. So I decided to re-set the Express and create a new network with a different name and password. I had high hopes for a solution. Not so. Still no connection to this one web site. After a few days, another bank’s web site fell victim to the same problem.

After purchasing a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet connector for $30, I was able to bypass the wireless network and plug in the Ethernet cable. Both web sites opened as they should.

The problem must be in the Express. Does anyone know what’s going on? Short of replacing the Express, is there a solution?

Airport Express (latest model)-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 6:09 PM

7 replies

Feb 26, 2015 10:02 PM in response to billrich

I would like you to try a couple of things.. there is nothing wrong with the setup.. but you have an awful lot of DNS servers.

Can you please set the IPv6 in the computer to link-local only. Instead of automatic.

User uploaded file

If you have no luck with that.. clear out all the dns and use just the google public ones.

no luck I want you to do a traceroute from terminal to your bank website..

Something is not handling the certificates for HTTPS correctly is one possible cause.

Tell me what results you get.

Otherwise I think you just need to replace the Express as the main router.. it is really not designed for this task.

Mar 1, 2015 2:22 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the tips, but so far, no luck. As you suggested, I switch the IPv6 to local-link and eliminated all but the Google DNS. I haven't done the traceroute because I don't know how -- not much experience with Terminal.

Any other thoughts before I take the unit to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store and see what happens there?

Mar 1, 2015 3:45 PM in response to billrich

First step is to narrow down the proof of the Express being the cause.

Can you please connect the computer directly to the main router.

If it is a cable modem you will need to power down the modem for 15min (but test as 5min is often enough). plug the computer into it by ethernet .. and then test your bank site.. if it opens and you have no problems you have proven the issue is the Express.

If it fails then there is something else wrong.. and you are looking at the wrong area.. it has something to do with ISP routing..

Now most likely the Express is the problem.. but proof is good. Then you can be sure if you replaced the express the problem would go away.

Then I recommend you test via terminal.. the details are as follows.

Open terminal..

Type in

traceroute www.bankname.com (where you replace the bankname with the actual URL to your bank website).

See if the bankname is resolved by DNS to an IP address.. and see how far you get.

You should then test when you are connected at another location where you do get access.. is the IP the same.. is the traceroute the same..

These comparisons might not produce much but it is how you would start to break down the problem.

If it was me I would simply immediately replace the Express with a true router.. not a box that is primarily intended as AP or to use for airplay. Play being operative word here.

(If your express is Gen1 then I would reset to factory and flash back to 7.6.1 firmware) if it is gen2 and you are on 7.6.4 I think flashing back to earlier firmware has been made impossible.

Mar 5, 2015 7:38 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for all your efforts, but it's time to close the book on this problem.

I had already tried connecting directly to the Internet. I could reach the web site that way. That's when I became convinced the problem was a mystery within the Express. Then three days ago I had the opportunity to swap Expresses with another user. I plugged it in, set it up, and connected right away to the bank web site.

Perhaps the traceroute might have shed more light on the problem. However, with a different Express working just fine, I'm too tired or lazy to take the time.

This will sound weird, but almost since the days of my first SE20 I have believed that cosmic rays cause many one-off problems with computers that seem to occur when there has been no conscious change in hardware or software -- unexplained file corruption, an app that suddenly won't open and needs to be reinstalled. Works for me...

Thanks again.

Can't reach bank web sites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.