Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nothing works. I can only power on-off

MY iMac just started locking up frequently. It is now to the point that I can't even launch any application. I was able to launch Time Machine once but it locked up before I could restore an older backup. The mouse works fine.

iMac

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 5:50 PM

5 replies

Feb 26, 2015 4:56 AM in response to fid1fromchesapeake

I can move the mouse around the home screen and sometimes launch an application by clicking on the icon ( ex. Safari). The application will initially launch but will not progress any further . At this point,only the mouse cursor will move. Nothing else will respond. At this point, I hold the power button downand reboot. The same sequence happens after reboot

Feb 26, 2015 8:59 AM in response to fid1fromchesapeake

How about telling us which iMac variant you have and the Mac OS it is running?

IMacs have been in continuous production since 1998 in four broad families based on the processor type. Troubleshooting very much depends on the family group. You can see both your Mac OS version and your processor type by doing "About this Mac..." from your Apple icon at the left end of the menubar. It will give you something like this:

User uploaded file

Note the two red arrows I've added; they show where to find the OS version and the processor type.

Nothing works. I can only power on-off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.