Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule and ADSL

I have a Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen) and was wondering if I can use it as a modem when I have my broadband (ADSL 2 ) installed? Or do I also need a modem from the internet service provider?

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen) -OTHER

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 7:16 PM

I have a Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen) and was wondering if I can use it as a modem

No, the Time Capsule is a wireless router with a built-in hard drive. It is not a modem.

You will need to use a modem that either you have purchased, or a modem that has been furnished to you by your Internet Service Provider.

If you are saying that you already do have a modem, can you provide the make and model number of the device?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2015 7:16 PM in response to ebs79

I have a Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen) and was wondering if I can use it as a modem

No, the Time Capsule is a wireless router with a built-in hard drive. It is not a modem.

You will need to use a modem that either you have purchased, or a modem that has been furnished to you by your Internet Service Provider.

If you are saying that you already do have a modem, can you provide the make and model number of the device?

Feb 26, 2015 1:03 AM in response to ebs79

No you don't .. the standard modem we recommend for these services is the TP-Link 8950N or 8960N at around $35 and $45 respectively.

If you are really close to the exchange then even the cheapest 8817 works ok.

They are just $25.. so paying big money for a modem to bridge is not worth it..

That is assuming you have or want to buy a Time Capsule.

However I must add one important factor.. PPPOE on the TC is not wholly reliable.. for some it works fine.. for others not at all.. and others like me it is unusable because it won't hold the line for more than a min or two.. which means the internet is very unreliable.

In Australia it is extremely hard to tell you because our phone cabling is so poor both inside and Telstra cables outside.

Feb 26, 2015 1:11 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks so much for the info! It didn't occur to me to just buy any old modem from Dick Smith's or something!

I'm still discovering what I can use my time capsule for. I use it for back ups which in the past has somehow been connected into my wifi but I cant remember why or how...

So basically just get a separate modem and there's no benefit to hooking up my time capsule?

Feb 26, 2015 1:50 AM in response to ebs79

So basically just get a separate modem and there's no benefit to hooking up my time capsule?

Hmmm not quite..

You have to make a call.. do you want TC to be the router or the modem to work as router.. if the later then buy a better modem router than I listed..

8980N around $90 or the D7 Acher around $170 now although still on special in places.

Buy from speciality computer stores.. MSY, UMART, CPL, Centrecom. etc.

The cheap end modems are only for bridge use..

If you roll your mouse over my name you will see my email.. talk to me direct and I can give you more precise info than I can here.

Time Capsule and ADSL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.