Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 fast battery drain IOS 8.1.2 even on standby

I have a new iphone 6 64Gb setup as a new phone, already with IOS 8.1.2 installed. I have experienced really fast battery drain all the time.

I have tried with location services disabled,

push disabled,

background app refresh disabled

siri off

Icloud Keychain off

Itunes & App store updates OFF, Use cellular data OFF

and is still draining battery very fast. My previous iphone 5 could get from 6.30am to 7pm on one charge, this iphone 6 is on 30% by 3pm. The main apps I use are Mailbox, safari, waze , tunein and phone and ALL of these apps show as the main "battery usage" items. Basically having any app open with the screen on causes the battery % to drop before your eyes. I have also experienced battery drain on standby overnight. The drain is so fast that using waze for a 45 minute journey causes 30% drop

Basically it is unusable as a smart phone without having a charger connected all the time. Please can someone help?

thanks
Dave

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 7:13 PM

20 replies

Feb 25, 2015 9:53 PM in response to paryag

Hallo Dave,

You can try to backup your iPhone and restore by iTunes(Remember to set up as a new iPhone after restoring).

Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

If it doesn't work, make a reservation for Apple Retail Store to check your battery, reservation link as below:

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Regards,

Anson

Feb 26, 2015 7:24 PM in response to Anson Luk

Thanks Anson

I am not sure how to restore from backup whilst setting up as a new phone, so I did a erase all settings and content. At the moment I have 98% battery after 1.5h, however I have no iCloud account logged in, no location services and no background app refresh and have not installed any apps yet. The only thing that is configured is one email account.

so looks like the cause of my problems could be the iCloud account or associated services such as keychain or one of the other 3rd party apps.

I will see how it goes on standby tonight and then try logging into the iCloud account tomorrow.

rgds

Feb 27, 2015 7:35 PM in response to paryag

I had this same problem. Phone draining brand new, extremely fast. Usage and standby times in the battery usage meter have been nearly identical after 4 or 5 hours off the charger.

Went to Genius Bar two weeks ago, they noticed the battery drain in their test but said that nothing else looked unusual (battery fine, no major software issues, etc) and sent me on my way.

The problem continued, last weekend, did a full reset of the phone and set up as a new phone. Logged in using my AppleID at the setup and made sure to use the @icloud email address. I had previously used my first AppleID--a gmail account--from many years ago. The accounts were linked (gmail ID, linked to @icloud, @me, @mac address from later setups).

My problem was solved--went two days without charging, battery life was amazing, until today, when after the phone was acting odd, powered off then turned back on--battery drain began immediately and usage and standby levels are the same. I left the phone untouched for the last hour and "usage" went up and hour, as did stand-by.

For reference--no push email, fetch at 30 minutes, minimal location services on, background app refresh off, automatic update off, parallax off, etc. I have done every "trick" possible to improve battery life (some that make the phone useless).

iCloud seems to be the problem--can't figure out what part of iCloud is the culprit though.

Have another GB appointment tomorrow. Hopefully will get a more thorough diagnosis of the problem. Hopefully report back a solution.

Feb 27, 2015 8:26 PM in response to ohhmy

Thanks ohmy. I have just done a full reinstall of IOS8.1.3 through iTunes and setup as a new device. At the moment no apps installed , but have setup iCloud and Mail. I agree that it seems it could be iCloud related. I have re-enabled keychain , but I think all my wifi passwords disappeared , because I had to renter my home wifi , which should have been saved. Perhaps it is keychain related problem The only other iCloud items I use are photo stream and documents and hardly any data because the phone is new, so my bet is on corrupt keychain data in iCloud causing battery drain.

I Will leave on airplane mode tonight and hope to wake up with anything over 80% battery in the morning. Then I will load some apps back on.

please keep reporting what you are doing, hope we can find a solution for all of us.

rgds

Dave

Mar 1, 2015 11:49 AM in response to ohhmy

Update...had GB appt. yesterday, they replaced the phone (despite not really caring about solving the problem--felt like they just wanted me in and out of the store quickly).

Spent hour to get the phone up and running and...same problem. Within an hour had lost 10% battery and "Usage" and "Standby" times continue to be nearly identical.

Next step--I step by step deleted each of my mail accounts (had a gmail, exchange account and icloud account). First Gmail--same problem. Second--Exchange--same problem. When I deleted the icloud account (which in turn disabled all icloud functions for the phone--find my iphone, etc.) the problem is fixed.

Seems there is something funky with iCloud account and its constantly pulling. Any ideas?

Mar 2, 2015 5:39 AM in response to ohhmy

Ohmy, your battery drop of 12% overnight is fantastic compared to mine and you left your wifi and 3G on. I am losing 30 - 35% battery on airplane mode overnight in 8-9 hours.

Starngely , after my update to IOS 8.1.3, the daytime usage on 3g and wifi seems better. I quickly charged back up to 98% this morning before leaving the house and will let you know how I get on today.

I also have requested an Apple support appointment and also reported to my carrier who sold me the phone, awaiting replies from both.

rgds

Dave

Mar 12, 2015 4:17 PM in response to paryag

Hi everyone

I have had my appointment with Apple Genius Bar, a 10 minute diagnostic showed the battery is operating normally........ for them anyway, not for me.

I have upgraded to IOS 8.2 and no change at all, still drains terribly.

I have now sent my iphone 6 back to the mobile phone company for diagnostic testing, 3 days without my phone!!!

So I went back to my old iphone with IOS 7.0, see below battery has lasted since last night and I still have charge all today and enough juice to go home today.

I hope that the operator will solve this problem otherwise I will have to stay with my old phone and not upgrade to IOS 8.

Rgds
Dave

. User uploaded file

Mar 30, 2015 3:44 PM in response to stylinexpat

Hi everyone, just to let you know I still have this problem and neither iplace ( Peru apple reseller) nor CLARO ( Peru mobile operator) could acknowledge there was a problem. Both have tested and retruned my phone saying that there is no problem with the battery.

However, I am still experiencing 30% battery drain on airplane mode overnight. Also the battery drain in the day is very fast and I have to charge before 5pm in order to last the full day. I have tried all tips and have logged out of icloud completely, have background refresh off and location services set to minimum.

So looks like I have to wait for IOS 8.3 or 8.4 to fix this problem or insist to get a new phone.

Rgds

Dave

Apr 25, 2015 10:14 AM in response to paryag

Hi everyone

I tried updating to IOS 8.3 and did nothing for my batterry drain problem.

However, after returning twice to my phone operator for diagnostics, they finally offered to change the phone for another one...........which was not in stock Arrghhhh!

However yesterday I received the new phone with IOS 8.1.3 already installed and everything is fine.

I have great battery life, 13 hours use, including overnight on standby and only 12% battery drop.

I think all my battery problems are solved !!

Rgds

Dave

Jan 20, 2016 10:41 PM in response to paryag

Has anyone come up with a solution?

my problem is app Store running in the background and draining. My phone will overheat and be dead in 3 hours

This happened to me 2 months ago. I ended up backing up my phone and reinstalling the IOS and then reinstalling all my apps.

Worked fine again for a couple of months.

Now its happening again!! Phone overheating and the app store draining battery in the background.

All settings for the app store are off.

Do i really have to reinstall IOS again???

agoUser uploaded file.

Iphone 6 fast battery drain IOS 8.1.2 even on standby

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.