Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Experiences with iPhone tether/hotspot to Android tablet?

Does anyone have tips or suggestions for the best way to share an iPhone internet connection with an Android tablet? I have tried numerous options and am not sure I have found the best method.

If I enable WiFi for my Personal Hotspot my Android tablet can find and connect to the iPhone and the internet connection works great.. for 1-5 minutes at a time. I have read that the iPhone will turn off WiFi sharing after 90 seconds of inactivity and this seems to be what is occurring; however, it must only count new requests because I have tested this by playing a Twitch stream and it will lose connection in the middle of a broadcast, meaning it disconnects even while actively using the internet non-stop. This is far too much of a hassle for me to want to keep using, especially since randomly the tablet has a hard time reconnecting to the iPhone.

If I disable WiFi and instead use Bluetooth with my Personal Hotspot the Android tablet pairs successfully and shares the internet. There is no interruption in the internet connection when I do this; however, the speed is far slower in comparison to WiFi + Personal Hotpspot, feeling more like 3G speeds as web pages with lots of images take a noticeably long time to load.

I have a Lightning -> Mini-USB adapter to plug my iPhone directly into the Android tablet but the connection is not successful. From what I have read, the two are basically incompatible and USB tethering won't be possible.

So to sum it up:

WiFi + Personal Hotspot = internet works great but repeatedly disconnects every 1-5 minutes and randomly I cannot reconnect, making this too much of a hassle

Bluetooth + Personal Hotspot = internet works great and does not ever disconnect but the speeds are incredibly poor. When I tested Twitch with WiFi it ran fine with at the highest quality, whereas I have to turn it to Medium to make it run on Bluetooth without issues

I have tried a large number of "fixes" which people state have helped in the past but those do not appear to help now, including: Disabling the phone's automatic locking so that it stays on permanently (kept on the Personal Hotspot screen), turning off Bluetooth, disabling Cellular/LTE and enabling the Personal Hotspot in a number of different orders, renaming my iPhone network ID (no spaces/special characters).

Has anyone been more successful using the Personal Hotspot/Bluetooth tether from their iPhone to an Android tablet? If so, please let me know.

I have an iPhone 5 and my Verizon plan includes the Personal Hotspot feature. My area has full 4G LTE coverage when I try this. The tablet works perfectly fine with other non-phone WiFi connections. The iPhone has been used to provide internet to my computer when our home cable internet went down.

Thank you!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 7:53 PM

4 replies

Feb 27, 2015 12:42 PM in response to liasenth

Just checking in - does everyone else trying to tether/share their internet from their iPhone to an Android tablet run into the same issues I do, or does anyone maybe have a better way they do it? I know a lot of people are likely sharing their internet with iPads which looks to work much more reliably but I am hoping some others out there may know something about this.

Thanks again!

Experiences with iPhone tether/hotspot to Android tablet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.