Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message setup to retrieve history of conversations

Macbook Air Mid 2013 running Yosemite. Have set up Messages on my Air, and while it can send and receive new messages, my old conversations do not appear. How can I make the old conversations download? The setup of accounts and Messages on my Air is the same as on my MacBook Pro (exactly), but all of my conversations are present - they are also present on my iPhone 5

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 1:46 PM

Hi,

The Process.

Enable Messages on the iPhone.

Once the Number has Verified it can Send and Receive iMessages To and From the iPhone Number.

Enable the corresponding app on the Mac and set up the iMessages account with an Apple ID.

Once this has Verified you can send and receive iMessages to the Apple ID on the Mac.

Now you add the Apple ID to the iPhone Settings.

This will cause a pop up on the Mac to say the iPhone is using the iPhone Number AND the Apple ID

Accepting the Pop up Adds the iPhone Number to the Receive At list on the Mac and shows the Start conversations From drop down option.

From this Point on the iMessages sent to either Apple ID or Phone number will appear on the other device.

Once Received on Registered devices the iMessages are deleted from the Servers. (they are Pushed from the servers to specific devices so when one is off line or unattainable the servers will keep trying until the iMessages is Accepted or it times out).

If you add a third device it will only "Sync" (Display on all devices) from that point onwards.

It cannot be made to get older iMessages as they no longer exist.

User uploaded file

9:46 pm Thursday; February 26, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Bill Tennant

Hi,

The Process.

Enable Messages on the iPhone.

Once the Number has Verified it can Send and Receive iMessages To and From the iPhone Number.

Enable the corresponding app on the Mac and set up the iMessages account with an Apple ID.

Once this has Verified you can send and receive iMessages to the Apple ID on the Mac.

Now you add the Apple ID to the iPhone Settings.

This will cause a pop up on the Mac to say the iPhone is using the iPhone Number AND the Apple ID

Accepting the Pop up Adds the iPhone Number to the Receive At list on the Mac and shows the Start conversations From drop down option.

From this Point on the iMessages sent to either Apple ID or Phone number will appear on the other device.

Once Received on Registered devices the iMessages are deleted from the Servers. (they are Pushed from the servers to specific devices so when one is off line or unattainable the servers will keep trying until the iMessages is Accepted or it times out).

If you add a third device it will only "Sync" (Display on all devices) from that point onwards.

It cannot be made to get older iMessages as they no longer exist.

User uploaded file

9:46 pm Thursday; February 26, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Message setup to retrieve history of conversations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.