Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring Playlists

Is there an easy way to transfer my playlists from my old mac to my new one?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 7:33 PM

5 replies

Feb 25, 2015 7:42 PM in response to dawaldron

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the prompt to create or choose a library choose the copied iTunes folder.

When this is to a new computer put the copied iTunes folder in the default location of Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. (Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving.)

Feb 25, 2015 10:35 PM in response to Limnos

That doesn't work, when I do that I get the error: The song “XXXX” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it? Where would it be if iTunes doesn't store it? I have lost dozens & dozens of Accompaniment Tracts purchased as MP3 downloads over the last 10 years & categorized as such in my previous iTunes library, no matter how far I go back, they're all gone, nothing works to recover my files, no way to remember all of them & would have to sift through 30,000 emails to even find what I had purchased, if that is even possible.

Never thought I'd need to do that with Apple products, until now! Very concerned & upset with APPLE, I've purchased hundreds of thousands of dollars of Apple products over the years in my workplace, looks like I will have to turn to PC's, this is the last straw, I can't believe this KRAP.

WHAT IS APPLE COMING TO, I'VE JUST ABOUT LOST ALL CONFIDENCE IN THEM, NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK LIKE IT USE TO, SPENT HOURS & HOURS TRYING TO GET MY MAC TO WORK PROPERLY BETWEEN THE LAST FEW MAC OS UPDATES WHICH USE TO WORK FLAWLESSLY, NOW EVERYTHING THEY PUT OUT HAS FLAWS & PROBLEMS MILLIONS OF PEOPLE HAVE TO DEAL WITH, WHILE APPLE SITS DUMBFOUNDED & UNRESPONSIVE TO IT'S CONSTITUENTS PROBLEMS FOR WEEKS ON END!

Feb 26, 2015 5:11 AM in response to jarvisjo

jarvisjo: I suggest you start a new topic with your questions. This one is focused on finding a solution that works for the original poster (OP). You should also outline your computer and iTunes setup. If the above solution is not working for you then you do not have a standard setup where everything is inside a single iTunes folder. It is possible to configure things so iTunes keeps some files in the iTunes folder and other files elsewhere and if you don't grab all the pieces then you are left with broken links.

Transferring Playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.