Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone photos: names change to 'FullSizeRender.jpg'

Why does the name of ALL the photos I send from my iPhone 6 (Air Drop, iMessage or email) change from IMG...etc to 'FullSizeRender.jpg'? I have looked on the discussion forums and others asking the same question have been largely disbelieved. Anybody got any suggestions? Never used to happen. Running latest iOS (8.1.3)

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 2:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2017 8:31 AM

Hey Apple, here is the description what you do wrong ....

(using ohne file as example)

In the iphone file system you store the otiginal photos in:

./DCIM/102APPLE/IMG_2278.JPG

If one is editing it it will be stored as a copy ans some other files and linked via a database. The copy goes into another directory:

file1 =>

./PhotoData/Mutations/DCIM/102APPLE/IMG_2278/Adjustments/Adjustments.plist

file2 =>

./PhotoData/Mutations/DCIM/102APPLE/IMG_2278/Adjustments/FullSizeRender.jpg

This fullSizeRender.jpg is the edited photo but now in a completely different directory as tehe original. The iphone nows that since it uses a database to display the photos i the right manner. But we the user can not dowload the edited photo as we would expect.

You can get the edited photos if you use Airdrop to trasfer them. But they will always have the wrom name "FullSizeRender.jpg" or even the wrong creation date and time. Beside of this there are many personal informations in the meta data like e-mail adress.

So, now you now where to look at !

User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2017 8:31 AM in response to Community User

Hey Apple, here is the description what you do wrong ....

(using ohne file as example)

In the iphone file system you store the otiginal photos in:

./DCIM/102APPLE/IMG_2278.JPG

If one is editing it it will be stored as a copy ans some other files and linked via a database. The copy goes into another directory:

file1 =>

./PhotoData/Mutations/DCIM/102APPLE/IMG_2278/Adjustments/Adjustments.plist

file2 =>

./PhotoData/Mutations/DCIM/102APPLE/IMG_2278/Adjustments/FullSizeRender.jpg

This fullSizeRender.jpg is the edited photo but now in a completely different directory as tehe original. The iphone nows that since it uses a database to display the photos i the right manner. But we the user can not dowload the edited photo as we would expect.

You can get the edited photos if you use Airdrop to trasfer them. But they will always have the wrom name "FullSizeRender.jpg" or even the wrong creation date and time. Beside of this there are many personal informations in the meta data like e-mail adress.

So, now you now where to look at !

User uploaded file

Feb 2, 2017 2:26 PM in response to Community User

I just stumbled on this problem for the first time yesterday. I usually download and edit my photos on my MacBook so hadn't encountered it before. Someone claims it's because a filter is applied. That is not the case with me. I have been able to replicate it and it happens when a photo is edited, e.g., simple crop, on the phone and then emailed. I just took a photo, no filter. Sent it as-is to myself and it had the proper IMG_####. I then opened it in Photos, cropped it, resent it to myself and it's now FullSizeRender.

Generally I don't edit on my phone, but sometimes you just gotta. I mean, that's the whole point of being able to take a photo and then send it. Crops are important. Rotating is important. This makes no sense. I received 6 photos from someone yesterday all called FSR and I'm having her resend them.

It's almost two years later, and this problem hasn't been fixed? If it's a "feature," please enlighten me.

Feb 2, 2017 2:42 PM in response to Linelle Lane

Sorry to reply to myself, but I just figured something else out. I just took a photo and sent it to myself, unedited. Its name is IMG_9174. I then cropped it and resent it. New name is FullSizeRender. I went back to the photo on my iPhone, went into edit mode and clicked Revert, returning it to its precropped state. Resent it to myself. Yup, it's back to being named IMG_9174.

Is this to preserve the original and give its edited version a different filename? That makes sense, but wouldn't it be more helpful to simply append something to the original filename?

Feb 3, 2017 7:46 AM in response to Community User

HEY APPLE GUYS!!! SOMEONE AT HOME ???

This discussion is so old and Apple does just nothing ???!!!

It is absolutely clear, that this is a logical problem which is just unprofessional !

I took 1.000 photos while traveling trough asia with my iPohne 6. I edited many of them on my trip. But now back home, there is absolutely no way to get this edited photos with the right file name and creation date. on my computer. Why? Because your bloody programmers don't know what they do!

This is not just a problem of duplicating renameing files. It's a problem of logical thinking, what your programmers can not any more since Steve left. With Steve Apples quality is gone!

The iphone is the expesiviest phone of all phones on the market.

I and all the other iphone users worldwide expect you to FINALLY SOLVE THIS PROBLEM !

Thanks !

Feb 26, 2015 3:06 AM in response to Community User

It happened to me as well, photos sent via mail from other iPhone had the "FullSizeRender" jpg attached. These photos were sent from a google mail account. I just tried that myself, sending from a non gmail mail account and the photos came through as usual, labeled "Image.."

So, if that was a glitch, and gmail accounts were not the reason, it's back to normal again.

Feb 26, 2015 6:35 AM in response to Ingo2711

Thank you - I've just sent the same photo from my iPhone via a non-gmail account, and the name is now 'image1.jpg', not 'FullSizeRender.jpg'. But it can't be a gmail issue, because photos transferred by AirDrop come out as 'FullSizeRender'.

Mar 2, 2015 6:53 PM in response to Community User

I have the same problem when i use airdrop. I find the number does not represent the chronological order. Was on the phone with Apple today working on my mac and asked about this. Apple Support rep hadn't heard of this - understanding this is not her area of expertise. Found two other questions about this on these boards and no one has a definitive answer.

I was using airdrop before moving photos taken from the iPhone camera from iPhoto to the download file on my mac and everything was coming across with IMG_number.jpg. One day, same process but now getting fullsizerender(number).jpg. I did not knowingly change any settings on either device. It does become an issue since i do this daily and sometimes have the same numbered photos going to the same file. I have to be very careful not to over write. I looked at asking apple, but since i am out of the warranty, I don't want to possibly pay the $29 for a problem I can work around even though it is frustrating.

Google is not involved in how i am doing this. I did find that if I physically connected the iPhone to the computer, downloaded the photos into iPhoto, drag them to the desktop, I start back with IMG1.jpg.

Anyone have a good explanation and a possible way to change this back to the old method?

Apr 14, 2015 10:28 AM in response to Community User

not sure if anyone was able to help you but this is what worked for me.

open photo icon as you would take a picture. to the right of the photo button at the bottom there's a 3 circle icon that's in color, maybe (mine was). Anyway go ahead and touch the 3 circles and a window will open with 9 choices, touch the one in the center that says "none". now take a pic and send it to yourself and your pic should have a number assigned to it and not FullSizeRender. This is what worked for me.

good luck

Scoot28

Jul 28, 2015 8:21 PM in response to Community User

i am having the same problem. now that the OSX renames the photos, then there will be no more unique file names(issued by iOS) for the photos i send to my mac and i have to rename them all. Didnt use to be like this.

What is happening to me is just simply taking a photo then use airdrop to send to mac, and it is renamed to FullSizeRender. =.=

Running OSX10.10.4 MBPr 15in late 2013 and iOS 8.4 iPhone6.

iPhone photos: names change to 'FullSizeRender.jpg'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.