Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thumbnail/Picture discrepancies and scrolling wonkiness

I scanned a bunch of old pictures, added them to iphoto, and now there is a strange discrepancy between the thumbnails and the photos. Depending on the size of the thumbnail (controlled by the zoom in the lower left corner) the thumbnail either doesn't match the picture at all (when the thumbnails are at the smallest size) or it matches until you scroll, and as you scroll the new pictures coming onto the screen have the wrong thumbnail before resolving into the correct one. It makes scrolling through pictures to search for images impossible as you aren't seeing the pictures, merely thumbnails of other pictures until you stop, when they all change back to the correct thumbnail (at the larger zoom sizes).

I am using a 27", Late 2009 iMac (2.8 GHz Intel Core i7) with 16 GB DDR3 Ram and an ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB video card. I am using iPhoto 9.6. However, I doubt it is machine related as there was no issue before adding the scanned pictures, and all of the digital pictures I have do not experience the same issue.

I have deleted the plist for iPhoto with no change in symptoms.

My question - is there a way to "rebuild" the thumbnails, or do you know anyway to prevent this craziness?

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 5:48 AM

Back Up first and then try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to rebuild the thumbnails. It can take 3 or 4 goes for this to work

2 replies

Thumbnail/Picture discrepancies and scrolling wonkiness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.