Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ethernet to RJ11 modem

Hi

I'd like to buy a very old Apple modem which was build especially for the french provider, France Télécom: it was called the Djinn

I want to connect my SE/30 to the internet and go on webpages (using Macweb for example) and I don't want to use a Maccon card for it.

I thought the only solution was to buy an Asanté Mini EN/SC or the like to connect a RJ45 (i.e. ethernet) to the SCSI port of the Mac.

But I've never ever thought of buying a period modem. It works at 14 400 bauds and it only has a RJ11 connector.

My problem:

Can I buy/build a converter (i know this is digital vs analog hence the difficulty) that would go from my router (an old Netgear) through a RJ45 to the RJ11 port on the Apple Modem?

I know I could get internet directly from the modem if I plug it on my wall telephone socket, but you have to pay for internet afterwards, I don't want that.

I know I shouldn't post this here, this is the forum for modern apple computers but since it is still a problem for any modern computer, I guess someone may have a clue on this. BTW, I am a complete novice, and please forgive me if I mix things up.

Thanks

LD

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 7:57 AM

4 replies

Feb 26, 2015 8:59 PM in response to Bad Gold Eagle

Hello,

Yes, a serial modem and Ethernet are two entirely different things. The easiest way in a case like this would be to install an internal Ethernet card in the SE/30 (but you did not want to do this). Alternatively, as you also mentioned, one could use a SCSI-to-Ethernet adapter.

However, I suppose that you wish to experiment with the 14.4 kbps serial modem. To begin with, (if the modem has fax capabilities, and if you could install a fax program on the SE/30), it may be possible to test a local (not via the public phone lines) connection to a fax machine. For this, you could possibly build and try a simple line simulator (basically, consisting of something like a 9 V battery, a 330 ohm resistor and a modified RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable).

Otherwise, if you do not want to connect to an Internet service provider via dial-up over the external telephone network, the only way I can think of right now would be to establish a local dial-in PPP server on another computer (try a web search for details) and serve your own web pages.

Jan

Feb 28, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Bad Gold Eagle

LD,

1. The AirPort Extreme Base Station was first introduced in January 2003. Model No. A1034 with a built-in modem could connect to an ISP (dial-up) through the telephone lines, and thereby let local computers access the Internet (via a LAN or Wi-Fi).

Even more interesting is that there was an option under the Network tab in the then AirPort Admin Utility to Enable PPP Dial-in instead. That option was used to dial in from a remote computer (with a modem). The Internet service in this case was connected via a DSL or cable modem to the WAN port of the base station. The remote computer dialling in could that way gain access to the Internet.

As I see it, this may open some additional possibilities for you. Let us look upon your SE/30 (with a 14.4 kbps serial modem, TCP/IP software, an appropriate PPP connection program and a web browser) as the remote computer. Let us assume that you build a simple line simulator (usually, but not always, needed) and connect the 14.4 kbps modem to the RJ-11 modem port of an A1034 AirPort Extreme Base Station (configured to allow PPP dial-in). Let us also assume that one can find a way to make the base station modem answer an incoming "call" without the need for a normal ring signal. Then one should be able to access the Internet using an SE/30 (I should add that I have not tested this dial-in setup).

So, if you could locate an A1034 base station with a built-in modem (and the software), you may want to carry out a few experiments.

2. In my previous message, I mentioned a local dial-in PPP server. You should be able to find several such server solutions under Linux. However, the article http://support.apple.com/kb/ta26253 also appears to indicate that a Mac OS 9 computer with a full installation could be of interest.

Jan

Mar 6, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan

Sounds good! i would have tried that but I can't. The seller stabbed me in the back and sold the modem to someone else...

He told me this a couple of days ago, and I was so irritated I couldn't reply ;(

I am now searching for another one or an Asante mini en/sc, whichever comes first.

Anyway, if I find another one, I shall try this.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate this. You helped me a lot before.

Mar 6, 2015 2:13 PM in response to Bad Gold Eagle

Hi,

In the meantime, you could perhaps begin experimenting with a standard PC-style external 14.4 to 56 kbps serial modem (typically, with a DB-25F port for the computer connection); they should be almost free today, In that case, you would also need a MiniDIN-8M to DB-25M hardware-handshake Mac modem cable. A1034 AirPort Extreme base stations (make sure that it is the version with a built-in modem) appear to be available on online auction sites starting around USD 10 (before setting up any Wi-Fi router bought elsewhere, do check the radio channels allowed in your country). Good luck!

Jan

ethernet to RJ11 modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.